settings has stopped
cinda

I need to remove a gmail account. Went to Settings, Accounts, Google. Message is "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped." What to do? I am now in Safe Mode and the message still occurs. Phone is Galaxy S4.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: settings has stopped
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this the only Gmail account associated with the phone? If so, you might have to factory reset the device in order to remove it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this the only Gmail account associated with the phone? If so, you might have to factory reset the device in order to remove it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pkj68

I too have this error.  Factory Reset the phone.  Now in safe mode.  Go to Settings-accounts-google, get error "Unfortunately settings has stopped".  Repeat, I AM IN SAFE MODE NOW. So it is NOT a third part app.  What is causing this?  How do I fix it? Verizon Help?

0 Likes
johnsdagg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Go to the built-in Gallery app, menu, and then choose settings. Choose the account at the top of the screen. You will be taken to your Google account sync settings. From there you can choose menu where "remove account" is shown. I don't know if it will allow you to delete the account if it is your one and only main account.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pk68 We're concerned to see that you're experiencing the settings error also. How long have you been receiving this error message? After you factory reset the device, did you automatically restore the same Gmail account and applications?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
johnsdagg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Verizon - there's another thread here that's also talking about it:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/913131

Also, there is a large thread on Google Support Forums:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/OUI7lP8yurc;context-place=topicsearchin/gmail/c...

The problem started over 2 months ago and is affecting many people. It appears to have something to do with a recent update to Google Play Store or Google Play Services.

0 Likes
johnsdagg
Enthusiast - Level 2

My S4 just received a Google Play Services update ver 9.4.52 (238-127739847) and now I can get into settings/accounts/google without crashing. I can tap my Google accounts and change sync settings and remove accounts. Super. The only weird thing is that on the page where I see the list of my Google accounts there are 3 grey bars without any text labels. I tapped each and the 1st takes me to Sign-in and Security; the 2nd takes me to Personal Info & Privacy; and the 3rd takes me to Account Preferences. Everything works except for the missing label weirdness.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

johnsdagg, updates shouldn't give you that many issues. Does this occur with other applications? Is your phone updated to the latest software as well?

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes