Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 3,687 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions
Re: s8 and wifi calling notifications
OBrien09
Enthusiast - Level 1

SOLVED FOR ME - I tapped on the Wi-Fi Calling notification which took me to the pop up with the Terms and Conditions. I accepted, and it then took me to the page to enter a valid address. Since I didn't want to enter my personal info, I entered the address to the local Verizon store. After entering a valid address (could be the local pizza store) it gave me the option to TURN OFF WI-FI CALLING. The annoying notification went away.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BNANK,

Help is right here! I can only imagine how frustrating it is to constantly have the wifi calling notification appear all the time. Not to worry, we will get this figured out. Were you able to try the steps that natcatcat provided?

natcatcat, thank you for sharing these helpful steps.

The other thing that we have suggested is to add the address needed for 911 calls. Was that added?

Alicia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rezod54

half slide the notification to the right. You will see a settings icon and an alarm icon.  Go to settings. Click on blue letters under Categories/Wi-Fi calling.  Click on importance. Change to low/ no sound or visual interruption. Turn off app icon badges.  The notification disappeared from the top bar and is now just a line when I swipe down.  Hope this helps!

0 Likes
TODSCH32
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon, since the update, everyone continues to receive alerts to update your address every 3 minutes regardless if you havent moved locations and attached to the same wifi.  Please help...everyone that has verizon is having the same problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry about that. I made sure to test the link. Please try again. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062718/

Tina_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
m54b25
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is very annoying, Verizon. I'm getting notifications to turn on wifi calling but when I try to activate it, it spins for minutes then eventually says "unable to perform requested operation. please try again later." I've tried multiple times on multiple days both on and off of wifi with the same results.

Did you do any testing before you pushed out this update!?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

m54b25, we know how frustrating it can be to receive a notification to enable Wi-Fi Calling. The latest update for the S8 did include a notification for Wi-Fi Calling, asking to make sure you an Emergency Address entered. This address is needed for 911 calls. To make that go away, you do want to make sure to add the address: http://spr.ly/6581DmK2U

Samsung has the steps for setting up Wi-Fi Calling outlined here: http://spr.ly/6584DmK2s  . Please let us know if these links were helpful.

0 Likes
crzydiamond
Enthusiast - Level 1

I HAVE A FIX FOR IT!!
I spoke with Verizon for an hour, they ended up transferring me to Samsung, who almost immediately said that it was a Verizon issue.  I explained to them that it isn't, because it is still part of security until the TOS is checked and the address entered, then it becomes a usable app.
So, here is what you do: 
1. Go to Settings/Apps/Show system apps...
2. Scroll down to Wi-Fi Calling, tap it.
3. Tap Storage
4. Tap Clear Data, then delete, then back previous screen

5. Tap Force Stop

That will remove the notification.  This was just about 20 minutes ago, so I haven't had time to see it if comes back again, but if it does I will post here.

I'm surprised that both Verizon and Samsung were shocked that I didn't want this.  How many people out there has their home internet provider data capped?  If every phone call that people make is on wi-fi by default, then the overages will be obscene!  And people that stop over to the house?  Now we have to tell them to disable it.  The more I think about it the more mad it makes me.
I went over in my data plan several times in the past few years.  Correction:  My daughter did.  I had to pay overage fees.  Now they want us to use our data to make PHONE CALLS??? You mean the same phone calls that are default to UNLIMITED MINUTES??  What a scam.

m54b25
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon, this is not helpful. When I get to step 3 in Samsung's instructions, the phone shows the spinning icon, then eventually gives an error.  At least now it's giving a more specific error than just "unable to perform requested operation. please try again later."

1. Navigate to Apps > Settings.

2. Touch Search, and then search for and touch Advanced Calling.

3. Touch Activate Wi-Fi Calling. --- "Loading, this may take a few moments..." ... minutes later ... "Unable to activate Wi-Fi Calling at this time.  Please try again later."

4. Touch ALLOW.

0 Likes
m54b25
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, crzydiamond.  This (at least temporarily) has worked for me to get rid of the notification.  For me it actually would be nice to use wifi calling through my regular # so I'd eventually like to activate this feature but my primary concern was getting rid of the useless notification.  Until Verizon can fix this issue I'll just keep using Google Hangouts for wifi calls like I have been for the past few years.

It's pretty amazing how much we pay verizon for features that are 2 years behind the free features google provides!

0 Likes

Add thoughts to the community

Start a new topic or ask questions in the open forum.