s6 edge os upgrade
Pdevine52
Enthusiast - Level 2

why can't anybody definitively say when marshmallow is coming to the galaxy s6 edge??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: s6 edge os upgrade
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The update isn't released to all the carriers at the same time. Each model is coded independently of the other models by Samsung.  

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No one knows when it will be. When Samsung has finished with it and the required testing and certification approvals are completed, there will be an announcement.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Pdevine52
Enthusiast - Level 2

but hasn't samsung already released it? someone had told me that the S7 was shipping with it installed.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. The unlocked GSM devices are not the same as the carrier models. Each model including carrier variants have a different update schedule and worked on by different Samsung employees. The s7 shipped with it. A different team of employees would be working on the S6 update.

Pdevine52
Enthusiast - Level 2

well do you know if verizon is atleast working on this or has it even got that far yet?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless doesn't look at anything regarding which phones are updated or not. Samsung is who determines which phones are capable of and scheduled for the OS updates. Samsung Offers Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update for GALAXY Devices | Samsung Newsroom

Pdevine52
Enthusiast - Level 2

that article mentioned February 2016. is there article somewhere with more current projected release dates?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's when they started the unlocked  international models. The next paragraph talks about the release dates varying between different regions and carriers.

You have to check the specific model support page on the Samsung website for your model.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The exact wording from the press release. "For upgradable models, Samsung will make separate announcements on details of OS updates schedule for each market according to market situation and carriers’ requirements."

darksear
Enthusiast - Level 3

While 6.01 has been released to the carriers for the s6 and s6 edge each carrier independently tests the new operating system and then releases the update when they are satisfied that it's going to work without a problem.  Verizon's schedule of releasing updates appears to be by, um, let's call it milestone rather than a set time.  They always start with the phone that was released the latest, since the s7 already has 6.01 then that is the note 5.  They are most likely waiting for the bulk of note 5 devices to update before they release the update to the s6 and s6 variants.  They also might be more cautious due to the fact that lollipop had it's share of problems that cropped up a few weeks after deployment.  So please be patient.  Everyone mentioning marshmallow in this forum keeps on triggering the alert I set up.