s5 will not charge or connect to laptop after latest update.
dragonlady5566

after repeated software updates, s5 will no longer charge or connect to any device.  Went to verizon store. one other person with same problem. Tech had no idea what to do.  Said a software update would come out after enough people have the problem and verizon becomes aware of it.  any one have the problem and know how to fix it?

0 Likes
Re: s5 will not charge or connect to laptop after latest update.
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If doable, try a factory default to see if that clears the problem.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Can you backup your critical files? I understand you cannot connect the device to a computer. Did you try downloading the Smart Switch app by Samsung?

Samsung Smart Switch: Transfer Contacts, Music and More I Samsung US

I would go to that site, download the application, run it, and see if you can get the content off your phone onto a PC safely. If I could, then I would try as Dexman indicated, a Factory Data Reset (FDR).

Sometimes, updates leave the phone in less than a fully functional state. You have to perform a FDR to get things working properly again.

Only perform the FDR if you are positive you've gotten the content off your phone and safely onto a PC.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

How old is the battery? Do you have the developer options on?

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

If the person is unsuccessful getting things backed up using a microUSB cable, then I would install an FTP server program onto the phone, and I would pull the stuff off via FTP transfer.

Question - If the phone isn't charging, how is the person still using the device, and how would the person get an update onto the device to fix the problem? A pre-charged battery?

0 Likes
MICEGG46
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just installed update

MMB29M.G900VVRU2DQI2

and can't get my S5 to increase the charge whIle in use.  It is also very slow to charge when idle.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Usually after you get an update it is a good idea to go into the recovery mode and clear the cache partition.This will clear out all the old files. Also recheck all your settings to make sure that the update did not change any of the settings that you had before the update. Check your play store settings to make sure that they are not updating when ever they want. I always have my settings on update wifi only and not to update automatically. When you said that you can't get your S5 to increase the charge while in use how old is the battery. I have a S5 and got it a little while after they first came out and had to replace the battery over a year ago. I had issues like a lot of people are posting about trouble after an update and when I replaced the battery a lot but not all of them went away

stef7
Master - Level 2

As kathy65793 indicated, it could be a battery issue.

It might also be a cable / charger issue. Cables and chargers are not all created equal, and usually the best ones to use with your phone, are the OEM pair that come with your phone.

For example, I have an LG G4. I use Google Maps - I'm directionally challenged. Smiley Happy

If I use a lower wattage charger in my car, I actually lose battery charge as I use the device. If I use a higher wattage charger, that's not the case.

0 Likes
MICEGG46
Enthusiast - Level 1

Emptied out the cache and the phone seems to be charging much faster now.  Thanks!

bearone21
Legend

have you tried the wall charger??

0 Likes