recent update on a samsung s5
PHISUR4

Within the past 24 hours I sent an email to the Samsung corporation in regards to a recent system update for my S5.  Since the update the main symptom I have been experiencing is quicker battery drain.  The update has changed other things on the phone causing to have odd operations. 

I visited a "Verizon retailer" where they were not much help.  After that I went to the corporate store where during my first visit they wanted to immediately sell me a new plan with a new phone.  There was nothing wrong with my phone until this system upgrade.  I was given many reason to why there could be a problem.  The main reason i was told is that my battery could be bad.  Again I say that there was no problem until I upgraded the phone system.  On my second  visit into the store to discuss the problem I happen to overhear another customer explaining the same issue with the same phone.  Amazing.....

This sure seems to be a behind the scenes way of getting a customer into the store in order for them to upgrade to the next latest and greatest device. 

Ive been very happy with my S5 my is Samsung and Verizon wireless messing that up.

Sure seems to be a great time to look for a change in provider

I encourage Verizon wireless and Samsung to contact me to discuss this situation.

0 Likes
Re: recent update on a samsung s5
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you been able to shut it down and do the up/home/power button to get into the screen to clear the cache file? I too have had a lot of problems after an update back in May. I had trouble just to get the phone to reboot..then there were apps that did not even go with my phone,After months of this to make a long story short I finally got the Verizon  2.0 SUA for Android to work. I also put an app called GSam battery Monitor on my phone that seems to help a lot.I am getting a least a day and a half on the battery now.Hope this helps .

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Here is the link to get Verizon software upgrade assistant........Samsung Galaxy S 5 Software Update | Verizon Wireless . This page should help walk you through it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Updates are meant to improve your device PHISUR4. I regret to learn of the difficulties you are experiencing after the recent software update to your phone. After updating the software on your device, it can take your phone a few days to normalize. Do you notice the battery draining faster when using certain applications on your phone? Have you verified all applications are closed after using them?

Thank You,

MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bubbles9875

I regret to inform you but this is not the case, at least for our phones. A few days for the phone to normalize. Well it has been about a month and ours phones is are not functioning as they should. The issues for us are the same as PHISUR4 and the following: shutting down at random times through the day or reboots, not sending text, cell coverage decline, screen rotation gets stuck, KID MODE no long functions at all, locking up. Battery life is about 40% less after the update, this is with nothing running. I have to keep my phone plugged in all the time. Some of my apps no longer function at all. Memory has was bad before now its a nightmare. Runs REALLY SLOW.

The million dollar question is why are these updates forced on us? Why cant we decline them? Why are you jacking up another phone? This is the 3rd phone that I have to replace because of the software update that I DID NOT want!?!?!?!? STOP feeding our phones junk food we don't want!

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Bubbles9875

Software updates are intended to provide customers a better wireless experience, not worse. I am terribly sorry that this hasn’t been your experience. I would like to see what we can do to improve your device performance.

You mentioned that these symptoms started after updating your device software. What is your device’s current software version number: http://vz.to/2efdunr? Do you experience the same issues when the device is powered up in Safe Mode: http://vz.to/2fUSsi1? Please keep me posted with your results.

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
CRALAR38
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had an update pushed to my phone yesterday, January 4, 2017. After this update my phone crashed (I thought it just went to restart the phone in order to finish installing the update). I can feel my phone buzz when I attempt to unlock, I can hear the sound of my up and down volume controls beep as they get louder or softer. I can see a blue light next to the Samsung logo. Other than that.... nothing. The screen is completely black. Last night I attempted to do the thing where you hold the power button and the down volume button in order to get to what appeared a DOS screen. I was able to get my phone working after accessing that screen. Once I was satisfied that the phone was working I shut it down for the evening. The next day I went to work, and once again I had the same problem. One additional note, right after the update installed the phone became quite warm prior to going to restart/crash. Today when I went to try and get the phone to work it got real warm and then nothing.     **My phone worked absolutely PERFECT prior to this update! I LOVE this phone! Now, it is the equivalent of a dark screened brick. Please help. I am a teacher that uses this phone for quick look-ups of facts for my class. I use the calculator to figure out grades, The calendar to schedule parent-teacher conferences, etc. My life/career is contained in this phone.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you cleared the cache partition in recovery mode? This clears any conflicts from the previous firmware and the new firmware.Sometimes just clearing the cache partition does it but of course the times it doesn't you need to do the factory reset.Hopefully you can do a full backup with smart switch or kies.

0 Likes
bakravitz

I used the recent upgrade of my Galaxy S6 now my contacts are all mixed.  And my text contact list is now by first name.  I went to the settings and selected last name first but now luck with the text contacts.

Please help

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bakravitz,

I would be lost if my contacts weren’t how they are supposed to be. Software updates should be something that enhances the phone, not hinder. Let’s work on this together. Can you please explain what you mean by the contacts are mixed? What do you use to back up your contacts? (Google? Verizon Cloud?)

AliciaS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!"

0 Likes