Re: "GPS Rollover" to make some systems innacurate
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WayneB, we understand how important it is to have a properly working device. Warranty replacements are replacements from the manufacturer in which we simply become the middleman to facilitate the replacement for our customers. If you are experiencing a specific issue with your replacement please provide details. Per the manufacturer warranty, if a device is replaced it is replaced like for like or if not available, with the next closest item, such as in your case. LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MGSHOLAAS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, errors in the link that came with the warning email, verizonwireless.com/legal/notices/global-positioning-system/. When I searched for more information on the GPS Week Number Rollover (for example, using the DHS link in that very link), I found references only to the April 2019 rollover. Given that date, since the rollover happens every 20 years, the rollover couldn't happen again only 7 months later. So why was Verizon warning us? And did we have problems in April and not know it? And what "problems" might I have have had in April, without realizing it, or might I be about to have, if the warning was correct? The information was conflicting and vague and very scary for those of us who depend on our phones for GPS-related functions.

Subsequently, forum member Galaxy5owner posted that "Some devices have their firmware set to use a day in February 2000 as a base reference date" rather than the date that (apparently) most others in the world use. Because of the February base reference date, they didn't rollover in April, and would rollover in November. The inclusion of that detail would have made some sense of the warning instead of creating massive confusion.

Now if I only could figure out what, if anything, to expect on my fully patched S5 on November 3. I like my phone. I don't want to replace it, and would rather use $800+ to pay the rent. As far as I can tell, this is a defect. Hopefully it's been fixed in a patch. If not, I might have bought a different phone had I known this issue was going to ambush me a few years later.

I appreciate your checking in.

WayneB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will keep you posted regarding the S7 replacement phone, since the rollover isn't happening to November 3rd.  So my question is, if the replacement phone is having a host of problems due to changes in the GPS, will I still get replacement of a phone that doesn't have the problems prescribed in the orginal post regarding GPS turnover? 

Since this is a warranty replacement what recourse will I have if my phone becomes problematic?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question. We off information via this link for you: http://spr.ly/66071Hi4F. As stated in the link, We can advise you to 

Please consider upgrading to a newer device by logging in to My Verizon. I hope this helps. AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes
MSPWSNC
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have someone using a Droid Mini, which is on the list of possibly affected phones. I haven't heard of any issues with the phone back in April, which leads me to infer that it has a firmware field that will roll over in November.

This phone is long out of warranty, and Motorola isn't even updating the OS anymore (it's stuck back on 4.4.4)

Any conjecture on how to cope? The phone suits this user's needs perfectly, right now, and they have no desire to spend money on a new phone.

FPC4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, you sarcastic little snit.  It does "help me move forward."  Right to another carrier.