Re: "GPS Rollover" to make some systems innacurate
mkbart
Enthusiast - Level 1

So will there be a patch? This is the requested info.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Maplest1, thank you so much for the response back. We want to make sure that all of your services on your device are working correctly. Are you having any issues with your GPS on your cell phone at the current moment? What is the make and model of your cell phone? KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
FPC4
Enthusiast - Level 1

In what way will this impact the GPS function of my phone?  I have an old Galaxy S4.  The notice that this MAY cause INACCURACIES is frustratingly (and no doubt, deliberately) vague.   It could be that I am in danger of stuck off the side of the road unable to be located by emergency responders or it could be something I might not even notice.    Please describe more throughly what issues are expected.  Thanks.

WayneB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use my phone for directions a lot especially when traveling. Just lately, Verizon replaced my older Samsung S5 with a S7. This occurred early October. Now I find out that they deliberately sent me a defective phone on a warranty replacement.  Why did Verizon give me a defective phone when they knew about the impact of the GPS turnover?

Galaxy5owner
Enthusiast - Level 1

The 11/3/19 date is legit for *some* phones, but not the whole list that Verizon sent out.

Some devices have their firmware set to use a day in February 2000 as a base reference date. For these devices, GPS week number 1023 (binary=1111111111) ends on 11/2/19, a few seconds before 8:00 pm Eastern time (midnight UTC).  At that point, the GPS week flips over to zero (binary=0000000000).  Phones missing necessary updates will display a February 2000 date again.  Texting, calling and GPS navigation will still work, but Calendar & reminders will be a mess.

iPhones with a current iOS update have a new base reference point, and will interpret GPS week zero correctly and display the correct date.

See https://rntfnd.org/2019/10/16/lookout-gps-rollover-problems-still-to-come-for-some-phones-and-pads/

Verizon discontinued updates to my Samsung Galaxy S5 after January 2018... I'm hoping it's at a patch level where it knows to switch over to a newer date reference point.

JursyGurl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon,

According to your letter, we won’t start having problems with GPS until Nov. 3rd... so why are you asking if anyone has problems now?  We are asking for the patch, or instructions, to prevent any GPS problems in advance of the Nov. 3rd trigger in order to avoid having problems.

It would have been less stressful if Verizon had issued an alert and patch, much earlier. You knew about this back in 1990; and, continued to sell phones with this defect.

The way Verizon has handled this issue is despicable, waiting until 2 weeks before the trigger date, scaring customers, misleading them with your late night email to advise the only way to get through this issue is by buying a new phone.  You sold us defective phones.  This is a scam to try to sell phones.  It’s despicable! If you can’t fix this problem, YOU need to replace our expensive phones.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of clarification when addressing changes to services. Allow us to provide clarity. This message is real. Does this help you move forward?

CoreyM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MGSHOLAAS, we appreciate your efforts to research this issue, and we would be more than happy to help. To ensure that we're on the same page, can you tell me more information when you mentioned that it's in error? Are you referring to the Global Positioning article as shown here: http://spr.ly/66001Hn6Q Looking forward to hearing back.

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

At this time all information available is posted in this link: http://spr.ly/66051HdVU. Any updates will be posted. I hope this helps. AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry about the frustrations this change may cause with your phone FPC4. I understand the need to be aware of what may happen but it may not occur with all impacted devices. Beginning on 11/3/19 the Global Positioning Service (GPS) Rollover may impact mobile devices manufactured between 2006 – 2016.  Verizon business and consumer customers (excluding prepaid) will receive a bill message starting 9/20/19 to notify them of the possible impact. 

The only impacts we are aware of are the following:

• Performance of applications that use GPS 
  • Date/Time

There may be a software update that is released by the manufacture for any issues customer may have when this occurs. If you do have issues after this change, we can always review your account for upgrade and replacement options. 

Here is a link with additional information and devices that will be impacted https://www.verizonwireless.com/legal/notices/global-positioning-system/

Let us know if you have any questions? 

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes