Re: "Do Not Disturb" seems to not actually work since the Lollipop update
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Of the forums you read regarding this issue that is everywhere, did anyone try a factory reset?

0 Likes
cf7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not that I've seen.  A factory reset wipes out too much of your phone.  Verizon needs to fix the issue.

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

I concur with cf7.  For someone who actually heavily uses their phone, doing a factory reset means spending almost an entire week getting everything re-installed and re-configured on your phone to get it back how you had it.  This is much easier when you get a new phone because you can have the two side-by-side to copy your data between them and compare settings.  To wipe it out without having a reference left behind is basically starting your entire mobile life over, and it's not a decision to be taken lightly.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I've actually done 2 factory resets in the last 3 weeks. The reset it's self takes about 5 minutes, then it's just putting back in your e-mail information, changing settings etc. I use my phone for work and personal and it took about 2 hours total - that includes for all my apps to download again.

You can try one while saving your app data and app restore - then it takes even less time. It's not as dramatic as you think, just takes time.

For me doing one helped cured a few error messages I was getting and the second one was to help with my battery drain issue.

Obviously you'll want to back up messages, logs, pictures, videos etc. etc. to your cloud service before doing this. THAT can take some time; I decided to go through and do a bit of spring cleaning before hand and I was back up and running same day.

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was speaking from experience.  It took me a week to recover last time I did a factory reset.  Several of my frequently-used apps apparently don't cooperate well with the supposed cloud backup services.  The last time I successfully did a factory reset that "only took a few hours to recover from" was when I had a rooted device and could use a local backup program like Titanium Backup to restore app settings.

But we're getting way off-topic.  I fail to see how a factory reset would have any affect on the presence of a settings screen which is missing.  Maybe it would change the default settings for the settings we can't modify because of the lack of that screen, but that would be potentially just as annoying in the other direction.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I guess if I include the times where days have gone by and I think "Oh yeah. Forgot to change my calendar colors." Then yes, it takes days.

It's actually on topic as I asked if you'd seen anyone do a factory reset during your searches to solve the issue at hand.

I don't know why factory resets often help issues. Why did it help my keyboard from stop producing an error messages? Why did it help stop the OS from sucking up my battery life? It simply did and if it were me and I had tried everything there is to try within the app/feature that's not functioning correctly then I would resort to a factory reset because it's MUCH quicker than waiting on a company to put out an update to fix a bug.

You posted this is a question and not a discussion so I had assumed you wanted to fix the problem. A discussion would have been better suited if you just wanted to complain that there wasn't a fix yet. Verizon Reps seem to read the posts either way.

cf7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Justdave72, I suggest you and others start posting all over their Facebook Page.  I have done this and still don't have a resolution, but they claim to not have any knowledge of the problem.  I started a thread

Dear Verizon, Fix the bug with the Do Not Disturb function on the Samsung Galaxy S5. Signed, I'm unable to sleep.

Like · Reply · September 16 at 10:26pm

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

What steps do you take to use do not disturb? I'm assuming you only want the alarm clock?

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm basically trying to get rid of popup notifications that come up overtop of other applications while you're using them.  Popup notifications are actually useful, if you're not doing something time-sensitive that requires tapping on the top part of the screen when they pop up.  Therefore I would like all popup notifications to not pop up when I have do-not-disturb enabled.  That's my goal.  According to the docs for Lollipop (upstream, not Verizon's build) this is quite possible with the overrides you can set on the settings page that we reported earlier in the thread is missing on Verizon's build of Lollipop.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

justdave72, having the notification off when the do not disturb is on is important. Can you walk me through the steps of how you are enabling the do not disturb?
ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes