"Do Not Disturb" seems to not actually work since the Lollipop update
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've found that since the Lollipop update, the global "Do Not Disturb" setting seems to be getting ignored.  I can have Do Not Disturb manually enabled (I have the ⃠ symbol in my notification bar) and still get notifications. The worst offenders are Facebook Messenger and IRCCloud.  If I go in the "Sound and Notifications" settings and look in "Application notifications" both of those apps have the "Set as priority" set to "Off", which according to the description of the setting is required to be "On" for the app to bypass Do Not Disturb mode.

This is most annoying when I'm playing a game on the phone and the notifications pop up in front of the game causing me to lose points because I can't access part of the screen where something active in the game is happening.

Anyone have any ideas of any settings I might have missed or is this a bug Samsung/Verizon need to fix?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "Do Not Disturb" seems to not actually work since the Lollipop update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Justdave72, just checking in to get you back in working condition.  As you’ve surmised we haven’t heard anything back from Samsung regarding this issue.  I understand your hesitation with a factory reset, but we really have had great success with those who have done them in the past. As to the exact setting that's causing this nuisance, we do apologize that we don’t have a “go-to” fix on this.
DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

So apparently there's supposed to be a screen called "Interruptions" which has override controls specifically for phone calls, events, and messaging apps which is separate from the main "Do Not Disturb exceptions" list.  It's visible on this Lollipop write-up here: How to use Android Lollipop's new notifications settings

Samsung and/or Verizon appear to have removed this screen from the Galaxy S4's Android build.  Why?  Can we get it back so I can fix this problem? 🙂

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

And is there any other workaround to change those settings or am I stuck hoping Verizon saw this post and will update it? (Is there somewhere better to report it to Verizon?)

cf7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi JustDave72, Did you find an answer?  My Do Not Disturb worked fine before the last update and now I'm getting notifications while I'm trying to sleep. 

Gdsuperman85
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no way I've found to work around it so far. Yes, you can manage individual application notifications. However, there is no way to block a text message. Even with do not disturb on, I get notified of  every text message. Doesn't matter if I block all of them or just allow  favorites. Verizon needs to update.

justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope, never got an answer, other than wait for an update and hope Verizon fixes it.

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to confirm, the I545VRUGOF1 update that came out this last week did NOT fix this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

justdave72 We are sad that the latest updated from Samsung and Google did not help address that issue. We understand how getting notifications at times when not wanted can be annoying. Since this issue started have you uninstalled those apps and re-downloaded them? Have you tried shutting off alerts within the apps?
StevenG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
justdave72
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are misunderstanding the problem.  This has nothing to do with whether or not applications are trying to post notifications, this has to do with whether the operating system allows those notifications to do popups or audio notifications when you are in Do Not Disturb mode.  While in Do Not Disturb mode, notifications should get added to your notification bar so that you see them if you pull it down, but should not pop up overtop of other applications and should not cause an audio alert or vibration.

Lollipop added a way to allow specific apps to override your Do Not Disturb setting.  There are two ways to do this, one is by specific application, the other is by classes of applications (messaging, phone, events, etc).  Verizon and/or Samsung appears to have removed the system settings page that deals with the classes of applications (see the article showing how to use it linked in one of the earlier comments here), without changing the default settings for it, which means all of the applications that fit in those classes can still post intrusive notifications while in Do Not Disturb mode, and there is no way to disable it.

The settings page with all of the individual application overrides is still present, and all of the offending applications do NOT have their individual application override set, yet they still override because they fit in the "Messaging" category which would be covered by the other settings page if it existed.

Disabling notifications within those applications, as you are suggesting I do, will disable that application's notifications completely, which is NOT what I want, I only want them to stop while in Do Not Disturb mode.

cf7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dave72 that was a nice reply to a nonsense answer by Verizon.  How could they not understand the problem.  It's posted all over the Internet.