poor signal
nwalker77

I recently got a new Galaxy S5.  I am getting a bad signal with it compared to my old S3.  In the exact same spot my old S3 would get 4 bars this new S5 gets 2.  The dbm on the S3 is usually around 89 or less.  The S5 is usually 105 or higher.

My friend has a Note3.  He is getting 4 bars sitting next to my S5, and its getting 2.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: poor signal
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for this info, nwalker77. It is common for devices to display signal differently even from devices from the same manufacturer. Especially since the built in antennas can be different. As long as calls are not dropping, all should be good. If anything changes though, please let us know.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
NoteLover
Enthusiast - Level 3

Restart your phone. Could be a sim card issue. Take your S3 sim & insert in to the S5. Check it if  the mobile network setting is on LTE oppose to Global.

0 Likes
nwalker77

I have already replaced the sim.  Both phones are set to LTE/cdma.

0 Likes
NoteLover
Enthusiast - Level 3

Definitely the sim.

0 Likes
nwalker77

The sim has been REPLACED.  Its still doing the same thing.  And if it was a bad sim, it would be causing me issues in the S3 as well.

0 Likes
NoteLover
Enthusiast - Level 3

How is the sound quality!

0 Likes
nwalker77

Fine?

0 Likes
NoteLover
Enthusiast - Level 3

i am going to say its normal.. but to make sure i would go on the S5 forums, actual forums not here.

but if your sound quality is good i and going to say your phone is good..Samsungs were always know for poor signals..well not poor but one of the worst compared to are the best in radio signal.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great information nwalker77! I understand that you have replaced SIM card and issue continues. Let's get more clues on this service issue. You indicate bad signal and refer to the amount signal bars, are you experiencing any particular service issues other than what is displayed on your phone's screen? What is your ZIP code? Is this issues in a particular location only? Does service improve outdoors?

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
nwalker77

I have only noticed it at home.  I dont pay much attention to the signal when im out.

My zip is 64083

All pictures below were taken in the same spot with the same sim card.  It was switched between phones

S520141215_221709_zpsec1b8a94.jpg

S320141215_222203_zps9c1b88c7.jpg

S3   Signal is -88dbm20141215_222457_zps10958f43.jpg

S520141215_223009_zpsc3d842ee.jpg

0 Likes