Re: After the 30 days warranty - my 4G died :-/ (anyone else?)
Not applicable

<Comments deleted as harassment and off-topic per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
TaxmanX
Enthusiast - Level 2

DG360 wrote:

*228 is associated with 3G.  Did this phone actually go through with the call?  If that's the root of the problem, please post back

Looking at your apps list, nothing stands out as something that could cause trouble.

Indeed - my Samsung Galaxy S III dials *228 without ANY blocking or errors, as does my wife's Samsung Droid "Charge".  That is why I thought that I still needed to update the PRL (used to having to do that on my other/prior phones).  Having just moved between states... it was even more on my mind (because my home address is set to the other state).

When I choose option 1 it fails, option #2 DOES process... and that may very well be killing my SIM card.  Does ANY other Galaxy III owner get an error dialing *228.... and if not... what happens when YOU hit option 2?

I got a new SIM last night, was working in 4G (as per normal after getting a NEW SIM).  I am currently not in a 4G area right now (at a pretty isolated site at work) but I will check it out again when I get home to see if 4G is holding today.

If for some reason I am able to dial *228 but others cant... not sure what would cause that - other than my prior phone was a 3G (Droid X) so maybe that is in my profile or something (so it is allowing my *228 call to go through).  If other folks with A Galaxy III CAN dial *228... option 2.... DOES it kill their 4G/SIM as well?

I hope we can get someone else to try it and respond here...

Thanks DG360 / tikibar1

0 Likes
TaxmanX
Enthusiast - Level 2

tikibar1 wrote:

You don't dial *228, option 2 on 4G LTE phones; that's handled by the SIM card.

Hmm - how would we know that.... if nobody tells us that?  As a Verizon customer for 13 years, I am USED to dialing *228,,,2 every month or so, the Verizon reps have pounded that into my head.  Normally I have it set as speed dial on the U key (or #8) on every phone I have owned.

If the phone IS allowing calls and it shouldn't, and the PRL update is killing the 4G capabilities on the SIM - then that IS the problem.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

TaxmanX wrote:

I hope we can get someone else to try it and respond here...

I hope we don't because if they do have a 4G LTE phone and they try calling *228 and it goes through, it will likely kill their SIM card.

Again, PRL updates on 4G LTE phones are handled automatically by the SIM card.  If you travel frequently or, as you say, if you move, you may want to periodically turn off the phone, remove the SIM card, wait a few minutes, then reinstall the SIM card and turn the phone back on.  That will force the SIM card to update to the network.

TaxmanX
Enthusiast - Level 2

tikibar1 wrote:

I hope we don't because if they do have a 4G LTE phone and they try calling *228 and it goes through, it will likely kill their SIM card.

Well to be fair - it does NOT kill the SIM card, it just won't let the phone go into 4G mode (regardless of the options you select in Settings). 

If someone else can replicate the issue - all they need to do to FIX the problem is go get a new SIM card from local Verizon store. 

I am not clear on if other folks with the same phone are being ALLOWED to call *228 or if it is being blocked for them.  It would be helpful if someone who IS able to call *228 and has access to a Verizon store nearby... (or works at Verizon) test the problem.  If this IS causing the SIM to be stuck in 3g mode, and others can confirm it - then Verizon CAN fix it.  If it is just me - then maybe there is something messed up in my Verizon account that is ALLOWING *228 to be dialed?

So far I have spent more than a month on this issue: 3 replacement phones and 5 replacement SIM cards at this point, just asking if anyone else can confirm this.

0 Likes
TaxmanX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Called Verizon support tonight - I was able to confirm, for whatever reason MY account is allowing *228 to be dialed from ANY Samsung Galaxy S III that I get, and any SIM setup for.

When I went to several "live" phones in a store/kiosk NONE of them allowed me to dial *228, there is an INSTANT denial with an error alert on every phone I tried.

0 Likes
Ben582
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently got the Galaxy 4s. I had *228 setup as a contact on my old 3G phone, and copied it over with my other contacts the the galaxy. Today I called *228 using the contact, then option #2 and it went through....now I'm not getting 4G anymore, just 3G. After reading this thread I tried calling it again. If I dial *228 the phone catches it and displays a message "A Verizon Wireless SIM card has activated your service and updated your phone's roaming capabilities."
It appears I can't call *228 from the dial pad, but *228 connects just fine if it is called using the saved contact.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The PRL programming is done through the SIM card, calling *228 does absolutely nothing on a 4G phone.