missing German keyboard input :-(
eb9
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

On my new S3 I only have language options for English, Spanish and what looks like Vietnamese, Korean and Chinese.

I would like to be able to use German input on the keyboard - anyone know why this is missing and/or how to enable this?

My previous HTC Incredible with Verizon had German, so I'm surprised this phone doesn't.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: missing German keyboard input :-(
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know if you already have JB on your phone, but if you do, you now have 2 stock keyboards: Samsung and Swype. Use Swype, it'll let you download additional languages, and I think that they do have German.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try a third party keyboard?  I think SwiftKey was on sale and I know it has German.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
eb9
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the message, does this mean the phone doesn't support a major European language (I also noticed that French was missing) - that just seems a bit odd, no?

0 Likes
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know if you already have JB on your phone, but if you do, you now have 2 stock keyboards: Samsung and Swype. Use Swype, it'll let you download additional languages, and I think that they do have German.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to ask Samsung  that question.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
eb9
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi again, I do have JB, and actually prefer to use Swype on the phone. I'll have to see if/how I can download additional languages, if I can use German with Swype I'll be very very (very) happy, so thanks for pointing me into that direction.

I still find it puzzling that the phone is lacking these major languages as is. I saw a video for S3 sold in Europe, and it easily had 20 languages available (incl the 3 dialects of German (Swiss, Austrian and German) - here's the link in case you are curious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbiyKVXFYI

I think it's a regional thing, but again, in my opinion maybe 10-15 major languages or so ought to be common to all.

0 Likes
eb9
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! I was able to download Deutsch for Swype, this is awesome, esp since using Swype would have been my preferred choice already.

Thanks again for pointing in the right direction.

Happy New Year (or as Germans would say "Guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr")

0 Likes
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

Glad it worked out. Happy New Year to you as well.

0 Likes