galaxy s5 intermittently not receiving texts
SKPA
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have 4 Samsung Galaxy S5 phones that intermittently do not receive texts.  I see it posted here and other areas and would like to know what, if anything, Verizon is doing to remedy the situation.  It doesn't matter if I am on WiFi or Verizon network.  My phone has the most on it but it still has over 1GB on the phone and 5GB on the memory card, the rest of my family has a lot more as they don't have much on their phones.  Seems like after the update to Android 6.0.1 this has been occurring, but there literally no rhyme or reason and I cannot reproduce it happening.  It just happens intermittently to all of us.  Which for me and work is becoming a big issue and for the family as a whole it's extremely annoying.

Re: galaxy s5 intermittently not receiving texts
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SKPA,

You definitely need to get all your text messages on your devices. With it happening on all your devices, this does concern me. Especially with you missing work text messages. Let's get to the bottom of this. Which messaging application are the device's using? Is it with all numbers or specific numbers that you are texting?

KatrinaN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
SKPA
Enthusiast - Level 3

I replied via the email that came, but it bounced back so now I'm trying through this forum.

We all use the stock android message app.  Doesn't matter if it's SMS or MMS, just randomly seems to happen.  We've noticed it more between the 4 of us as we talk at night and find out a message was missed during the day.  But each of us has had friends and coworkers say they have texted and we have nothing.  My wife and I compare messages and can see where there are missing messages sporadically.  Doesn't matter if the other person has Android or Apple, just randomly happens.  I know there is a Verizon message app but we don't like it and have it disabled on all phones and it's been that way since we got the phones a couple years ago.  Even this weekend we met some friends and found out they had missed a couple texts from my wife and she didn't receive one of their texts.

I have seen this same issue reported from others with no resolution that I have been able to find.

0 Likes
ms_ericarose
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same issue on my S5! It is really problematic and who knows how many people think I've ignored their messages simply because I didn't receive them! When comparing phones,  I've noted at least 5 different messages on different days that my husband has texted me and I didn't receive them just in the last 2 weeks. Yesterday I was meeting a friend at 7:30a.m. and they texted me to say they couldn't make it, but I never got it. The messages show up on my text history on my online account, but I simply don't receive them. This is unacceptable.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for getting back to us SKPA. The last thing we want to see happen is to miss messages. Let's look into this ASAP. It may be the space on the devices. Please delete all old messages. Then power off and back on and retest. Do all messages go thru?

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SKPA
Enthusiast - Level 3

So having over 2GB per phone isn't enough space?  That's on the device itself, plus there is a lot more space on the external memory card.  I can delete the messages, but since it's intermittent issue, I won't know right away if it fixes the issue.  But considering I have adjusted the message app space and deleted messages previously, I highly doubt it will work this time.

Since multiple people, beyond my family of 4, are reporting this on the internet and even the Verizon Community Forums all with Samsung S5 after the latest update, is Verizon looking into this being a software issue?

Thank you

0 Likes
SKPA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still having intermittent text messages not going through.  What is Verizon doing to rectify this problem that is not only affecting everyone in my family but other customers I have seen on the message boards?

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If you're not using the Verizon messaging app, then you must be using the "messages" app, am I correct?

If it's happening on all 4 phones, it's unlikely it's a phone issue as it would be weird for all of them to experience the same exact problem. That said, I would do as Verizon instructed, delete most (or all) of your old text messages and then go into:

settings>applications>application manager>messages (scroll down to find it)>Then see if you can delete the data and cache.

There was a software update which changed things and now what I do in order to delete cache is this:

Settings>Storage>Cached Data>Delete

Try either way and restart your device.

Something else to see is if your up to date:

Settings>System Updates>Check for new system update

0 Likes
SKPA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Appreciate your input, but I have tried as Verizon suggested.  We do use the stock android message app not Verizon's message app.  I have deleted my messages, I have deleted the Cache and data.  All of our phones are up to date regarding software.  Again, this is not isolated to us, but Verizon continues to ignore it.  Now I see the commercials from AT&T for unlimited TV viewing on AT& wireless with DirecTv, which we have living out in the country.  Since AT&T finally covers our house and Verizon isn't being helpful, I guess it's time to research other providers.  Thankfully we are not in any contract with Verizon so not bound to stay at all.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Sounds like you're throwing in the towel, but if you're not, I have a few more suggestions; have someone try using the Verizon Message app and see what happens. The message app you're talking about is Samsung's Messaging app; I use it with my Gear S2 and am not a fan due to some unreliability issues.

Did you verify your messaging app is up to date? Do you know if the messages you missed are SMS or MMS? Keep in mind that larger text messages (no pictures or videos) will send as MMS, only shorter messages will send as SMS, I believe less than 140 characters. Something to note is MMS messages won't send via Wi-Fi, so if you're connected on Wi-Fi often, you won't get them until you're back on the mobile service.

Lastly you could try a factory reset, especially if you've had those phones for over 2 years, which it sounds like you have if you're no longer on contract. I believe they have gone through 2 software updates and it's always good to factory reset before or after you update them.

You might pay more for At&T; I haven't compared the costs in awhile, but last time I did it was higher, especially if you're on the more everything plan and only paying $15 per line access fee, but extra is worth it if it really is a service area issues.

0 Likes