factory reset before upgrade to 5.0 Lollipop
mv123
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I started to get the upgrade notification sometime around last weekend, but before proceeding with the update I wanted to inform myself on the issues people are experiencing with the upgrade and learn more about what to expect in the new OS.  As such, I've been reading these forums for info and I've scene numerous posts by Snn5, and others, recommending a factory reset prior to the upgrade. One day last week, instead of ignoring the update notification (yet again) I accidentally proceeded to install the first of the two updates.  Is it possible to still do a factory reset before proceeding with the upgrade?  Meaning, if I decide to do the factory reset, will I still get both updates, or will it know that I already have one of the updates and proceed with the second?  If it does proceed with the second, will everything be fine (as if I had never installed the first upgrade prior to the factory reset)?  Should I just bite the bullet and proceed with the update and hope for the best?

If there are problems with the upgrade, does TMP (Total Mobile Protection) plan/insurance allow for a replacement phone?

Thank you in advance.

--

Maria

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: factory reset before upgrade to 5.0 Lollipop
Snn5
Legend

The 2 part update consisted of part one: preparation for the update and part two: the actual update.

I believe you will be OK to FDR after part one and before part two.  I think part one will stay installed, but that's OK as it was just a preparatory step and part two was the major OS update.

If by chance you do have a major malfunction with the update, TMP will replace your phone.  Verizon will want to make sure that you have tried safe mode, have done an FDR and a few other steps, but if none of those steps rectify the issues, Verizon will replace your phone as long as there is no physical or liquid damage.

I would just try the steps now just like you would if you had not gotten part one.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TheNatural
Contributor - Level 1

If you already proceeded with the first update a factory reset probably won't take it off. Just make sure your information is backed up and go through with the factory reset. The best way to do it is to power off the phone, then simultaneously press and hold the Volume Up Key, Home Button and Power Button. Then once "Recovery Booting" appears in blue lettering in the upper left corner you can release all of them. You can use the Volume Down key to scroll down and highlight "wipe data/factory reset" and select it by pressing the power button for 1 second. Scroll down to "Yes" and press the power button again to start the factory reset. If you then need to update the second half of Lollipop as well then that will be okay too. TMP Insurance only covers you should your phone be lost, damaged or stolen. Since this is software related (if you do have problems) a factory reset can fix those issues and carries generally don't replace devices for known software related issues as a replacement more than likely would not fix it most of the time.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The 2 part update consisted of part one: preparation for the update and part two: the actual update.

I believe you will be OK to FDR after part one and before part two.  I think part one will stay installed, but that's OK as it was just a preparatory step and part two was the major OS update.

If by chance you do have a major malfunction with the update, TMP will replace your phone.  Verizon will want to make sure that you have tried safe mode, have done an FDR and a few other steps, but if none of those steps rectify the issues, Verizon will replace your phone as long as there is no physical or liquid damage.

I would just try the steps now just like you would if you had not gotten part one.

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

Just did this yesterday.  After installing the Lollypop update prep, I removed apps I had added, wiped the cache partition and then did a factory data reset.  Then finished the Lollypop installation. Things seem ok so far.

mv123
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you all for your informative replies.  It's only Monday, but it's gearing up to be a busy week so not sure if I'll be able to get around to running the update this week.  I will reply back here when I do and let you know what I ended up doing and how it went.

Thanks again.

--

Maria