external sound not working
bsds71

I think it started after I put headphones in.  But I cannot hear ringtones, music, speakerphone, ect.  I have obviously checked volume, put in safe mode, took out battery, hard reset, nothing has worked. not much help on the internet either.  Sounds like I am going to have to get replacement phone?

0 Likes
Re: external sound not working
Klue
Master - Level 1

Doesn't the external speaker get muted when you plug in headphones?  At least it does on mine.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello bsds71,

It's kind of difficult to use a phone without sound. Even beyond a telephone call, audio is super important in the functionality of the device. Let's restore the fun audio to the Galaxy S 4. I'm sure that we can get this resolved for you. Let's start with is there any physical or liquid damage on your S4? Also, is bluetooth and wifi turned off in the Settings Menu? If not then I would suggest turning these features off, rebooting, then retest. If the issue persist then please share the software and android version that's installed on the phone. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you...

Arnett_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DJSomers
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got my Galaxy S4 a week ago and am still trying to learn how to use it. The external sound worked fine then all of a sudden 2 days ago it stopped coming through. SVoice and Robin (voice assistant) don't talk to me, whether Driving Mode is on or off. Klue's message above mentioned the earphones. I did use them once but there's no external sound when the earphones aren't plugged in. (BTW, the earphones don't fit nearly as well as my iPod earphones do. Smiley Sad

I think I probably just hit a button somewhere that turned off the external sound but I can't find what I did. I previously had sound when I was using Wifi and Bluetooth so I don't think that's the problem.

Please help. I wish the User's Manual was more thorough and offered much more info to us than it does. This is my 1st smartphone and need more help than the User's Manual offers.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Turn your phone off, remove the battery for 30 seconds, reinstall the battery, and turn the phone back on.  Do you get any sounds when the phone is booting up.  If you don't then the problem is more than likely hardware related, between the earphone connector and the speaker.

DJSomers
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, Klue! I just turned the phone off then turned it back on before trying the rest of your suggestion. Sounds are working fine and the phone is talking back to me now. Smiley Happy  Thanks so much for your help.

For future reference, if a general problem occurs, is turning the phone off one of the first things to try, then take the battery out if that step is needed? Does the phone get to a point to where it sort of has to "reset" itself?

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Smart phones are quite complex, just like a computer now, and doing a soft reset (pull the battery after you turn it off) is similar to rebooting a computer. Alot of annoyances seem to correct themselves.  However it is not a fix all for everythng.  There are some good references out there to maintaining your phone to keep it in peak working order, you can just google them. 

Glad everything worked out.

0 Likes
DJSomers
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, again, Klue! I searched and found some How To videos that other newbies may also find helpful.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/videogallery/device-videos/samsung.html

0 Likes