charging my Samsung S4
lennieblue

My phone is a year a few months old. Everything was fine until about a month or so ago, every time I plug the phone in to charge I get a message on the screen saying, use the original cord that came with this phone or charging time will be slower. It IS the original. I am using the same exact cord and plug in that came with phone. And it does indeed charge much slower than it used to. Any ideas or suggestions? I update my phone every time there is an update.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: charging my Samsung S4
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're having this issue with your S4! When did you start getting this error? Are you still using the original charger? Have you tried a different charger? Have you tried charging without that SIM card? That would be my next recommendation, power off, remove SIM card, then try charging. When completed, try re-inserting SIM card to see if it works.

VanetrisC

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lennieblue

Hi Vanetris.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

In answer to your questions: I think maybe around 2 months ago, at least, it started.

Yes, the original charger cord and plug in. I checked.

Have not tried a different charger. Hesitate to spend the money.

I followed your suggestion (turn off, remover Sim card, charge, Sim card back in, turn on) and still getting the message.

I also tried just plugging the usb (original) cord into my laptop to see if it was the brick plug in part. Still getting same message on phone.  ("Use the same charging cord that came with this phone or your charging time may be slower." Or something along those lines.)

Thank you. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you lennieblue! Let's figure out why you're getting this error. Try cleaning the charging connector by blowing air on it, in order to clear any kind of dust, This could also be the reason of the problem. If you have a BestBuy (Samsung Experience Dept.) store near you, I'd visit them before purchasing a new charger. If all else falls we are here and can explore other options for you.

VanetrisC

Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lennieblue

Hi. I can't find the current suggestion you had sent yesterday but it is on the Verizon forum.

You had suggested blowing dust etc from the connections. Good suggestion. I tried twice. No luck. However, I may have found the culprit. I plugged my phone into my Kindle charger and no message came up. I tried the original Samsung wire into the Kindle electric adaptor itself and there was the message. So, I am guessing it is the actual charging wire. I can try blowing on it again, but I think I need a new wire.

On a positive note, my phone is not losing it's charge as quickly after I did the suggestion of removing the Sim card and charging.

Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

PS My original message may be a bit confusing. My phone is a year and a few months old. Purchased end of July 2013 and the cord is that old as well.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

lennieblue wrote:

Hi. I can't find the current suggestion you had sent yesterday but it is on the Verizon forum.

It sounds like you may be replying via e-mail; just wanted to ensure you knew that your replies are posted to the forum and the suggestion you're referring to is in the post just above yours. 

0 Likes
scotchie

I am having this same issue. It seemed to have started since last update.

I've done the suggestions below

0 Likes