You Guys wont believe this
SanDiegoDownSyndrome
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an outdated phone and the plug in broke for the ac adapter at the bottom of the phone.  So I called to get warranty help and they sent me a new phone.  They asked if it was abused or dropped and it was not.  I get my new old phone and then next month get a bill for $299 for a damaged phone.  There was no damage on the phone since I am in a wheelchair in a carpeted house so very low to the ground.  Anyway as I said it was not damaged.

Even if it was damaged it would have nothing to do with the power cord jack being broken.

This is the kicker.  I could have got a new phone since my contract was up.  They never told me that.  This is abuse for sure.

Who inspected the phone?  Verizon or a neutral party?  If it is Verizon that inspected and they get to sell an outdated phone for $299 than that a sham.

Why not just tell the customer that they can get a free phone instead of gambling on warranty approval?

Since they charged me for a phone I didn't want to pay for I asked to return it.  Of course...  Sorry no returns.  Really? 

I am calling all the news stations today.  See if anyone will listen. 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: You Guys wont believe this
Snn5
Legend

Assuming you had insurance, if you had broken your phone then Asurion would replace for a deductible of $99-149.  If you were returning the phone based upon warrantied hardware failure, then you would receive a replacement at no charge.  If your phone was inspected and found to have physical damage, Verizon would send you photos of the damage.  As far as "free" phone...no such thing.  You would be paying for the new phone in full cost plus the $40 upgrade fee within the terms of a 2 year contract.  However, at this point, you have a damaged device return charge and a replacement phone.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Did you use the manufactures warrant or you have insurance on the device? Did they send you an identical device?

0 Likes
SanDiegoDownSyndrome
Enthusiast - Level 2

We contacted Verizon and they transferred us.  Not sure to whom.  Think insurance.  Yes they sent identical device

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You'd know if you were paying insurance for the phone, it would be an extra charge on your bill each month and you would have had to pay a deductible. It sounds like you did the manufactures warranty, but that is only good for 12 months, how long have you had the device?

Did you happen to drop the phone in any water at any point? Even a small amount? Did you take photos of the phone before sending it off?

0 Likes
SanDiegoDownSyndrome
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two years that is why we could have received a new phone.   Who wants a Gal 3 when I could have qualified for a new 5 for the same price. 

0 Likes
SanDiegoDownSyndrome
Enthusiast - Level 2

No I did not drop the phone.  No pictures.  A phone selfie I suppose.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

So what phone do you have now? Another Galaxy S3?

This just doesn't make sense. If you used insurance, you'd again see a charge for around $10 each month on your bill for it and then would have had to pay $100 deductible for the replacement device. That would mean that it doesn't matter what condition the phone is in and the charge of $299 isn't legit.

You could have only done a manufactures warranty replacement if you had paid for the extended coverage which again would be an extra charge on your bill and it can go either way as to if it would cover the charging port.

0 Likes
SanDiegoDownSyndrome
Enthusiast - Level 2

We do pay for insurance.

We have a replacement Gal 3

They are officially investigating

Good news.  Channel 10 here in San Diego is having a reporter call me.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Excellent.

I just wanted to make sure they didn't sign you up for an Edge plan which also carries a $299 fee for returning a broken device.

0 Likes
SanDiegoDownSyndrome
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nor sure what that is .

They mentioned Ashurion in the call