Re: Wifi connection issues after update
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The update to 4.3 has introduced some odd behavior to my S4:

Youtube:  Smiley Sad

. Once a video ends, the final frame remains on the screen. Before the update the "header" of the video would re-appear.

. Video starting and stopping action has become more sluggish than before the update.

WiFi: Smiley Sad

. When leaving an area that I've loaded a "guest" profile into the phone, the symbol that says that I need to log in (or that the connection has expired) remains on the top left corner of my display. I'll see this happen even if I' have not accessed the Internet.

General: Smiley Sad

It seems like my Internet sessions are sometimes freezing up. This wasn't a problem before the update. I end up having to drop the session and open another one.

All of these issues appeared after the 4.3 update.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for completing the reset kilroy37! Please accept my follow request, follow me and send me a direct message with your mobile number and account verification. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Davidmig,

Thanks for the details! I know having a properly working phone is important. Let's get this fixed. Have you tried connecting to different Wi-fi routers? If so, do you have to turn airplane mode on/off to connect to all Wi-fi routers? Which software update did the issue start occuring with? Send software version/build please. Are you receiving the error "unauthorized access to a secured area has been blocked" when you turn on wifi, or when you make a connection to a particular Wifi router? Keep me posted

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to enjoy reliable performance from your device LadyRelm2! Have you tested it in more than one wifi location? Do you have difficulties updating any other apps?

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Davidmig

Yes 3 different routers and I have to go through the same process for all of them.

I do have to turn the airplane mode off and on to connect to any router.

Just started with the last update, up until then the phone has worked fine.

version 4.3/ build JSS15J.I545VRUEMJ7

Get the unauthorized access when I connect to wifi. I can live with that, it doesn't effect anything I just clear the notification.

Hope this is something that can be fixed.

Thanks

0 Likes
Vincent_328
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZW guys (PamelaF, JohnathanK, ...) I appreciate you guys taking an interest in our problem, but please acknowledge this is not a problem with someone's bad router or someone's damaged device. Many people are having this issue on different routes of different makes and still see the same issue after receiving replacement devices. It's obviously something wrong with the phone or firmware.

jesilyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agreed, it has to be something with the phone or software, not our routers.  Mine is doing the same thing - both at home and at work - as soon as I toggle off and on it is INSTANTLY connected.  It won't automatically connect.  If I tell it to connect to a remembered network, it will say it's going to but never does until I toggle it off and on. 

I shouldn't have to do a reset, I've had the phone for only one week and it's done this pretty much the entire time.  I did update to 4.3 during the last week, as well. 

The fact that ALL of us are having this issue should be a wake up call that they need to fix it.  I'd say they don't really care if we have data overages because that's more money for them..... but they'd likely start losing customers soon. 

Does anyone know how to specify that my phone can only download updates when connected to wifi?  I don't want to incur charges because it downloads a ton of updates over 4G.  There was a setting for this on my Droid Razr but I can't find it on the S4.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Understood gmcarlson. We are attempting to troubleshoot the concerns to the best of our abilities. Our control is limited as we do not develop or produce the devices and operating systems. We are happy to troubleshoot with you as well if you can provide us with more specific details. Did you retain all your apps during the update? We have found app conflict with the new OS could be causing difficulties.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
PAsister

Having trouble with home WiFi here in North Carolina also. Both my phone, S4 owned since May 2013, and my husband's S3, also less than a year old. Home WiFi worked till this weekwith both phones, my phone updated to 4.3 on 11/2. His was not updated. Phone says home WiFi "not in range" even when placed next to router. It does recognize other networks when driving around neighborhood. Toggling WiFi on/off or airplane mode on/off makes no difference, nor does re-booting phone. Now using up data on my limited plan!! All other devices on home network are working and connecting to WiFi. Add me to the list!!

0 Likes
PAsister

UPDATE! Latest issue is Verizon Motorola Xoom with Android OS purchased when first out several years ago, now suddenly won't recognize my home WiFi.  WiFi notification again as with the S3 and S4 phones says "not in range" . Can this be an Android or Verizon problem rather than Samsung? My iPad, 2 HP Windows computers, and 2 Kindles recognize the Wifi as they always did. No this is getting to be a huge problem!

Message was edited by: Judy

>Personal Info Removed<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes