Re: Wifi Connection issue
Timbo2000
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, what you want me to do, is go into safe mode, remove all of the apps I have installed, BEFORE the latest Android update and then scratch my head wondering why THIS is still not working.

Wow, either you are a Robot, or someone working in a third-world country replying to messages for peanuts, that really has no clue as to what is going on.

Listen up, again, and again....  can you hear me now?  Can you hear me now?

My problem is that I have the "KEEP Wi-Fi alive", even during sleep" and yet, as soon as the phone's screen goes blank, it terminates the Wi-Fi connection and takes forever to reconnect once I bring the phone out of it's sleep/blank screen.

Again, as I'm sure you are lacking reading comprehension skills, this problems was NOT present until the latest Android update(s).

Also, there are other screwed up things that suddenly appeared once the updates were forced on us.

I'm sorry for being rude but this cooperate side-stepping, blind-eye responses, in hopes that we will just fade into the dark is getting old.

0 Likes
Neal_1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree that this problem was caused by a botched software upgrade.  I n fact have tried "auto switch" trick" and it did not help.   The "switching" is just a symptom, not the problem....Your phone is trying to auto switch because the phone cannot maintain a steady internet connection.  I hve OOKLA software on my phone that measures data rates.  Before the upgrade to 4.3,I had a steady, reliable 5G wifi signal with download rates close to 70Mbps (the phones are 5Gn and 5Gac).  After the upgrade my 5G signal, for the brief seconds I can connect to it, runs about 0.9 Mbps.  The problem is the OS communications with the Broadcom chip.

You don't have to go far in online Forums to rrealize Samsung has screwed up the upgrade that started with an attempt to upgrade Galaxy S3 phones.  In England, ATT halted the 4.3 upgrade after receiving a flood of complaints last month.  Why Samsung insisted on continuing to push that upgrade, with Veirzon's compliance, is a mystery to me!

0 Likes
mind20

That's interesting, Neal_1.  I also use OOKLA's Speedtest on all of my phones, and I still get ~55Mbps on all of them, GS4 Verizon (4.3 MK2), GS4 (another provider, but also running 4.3 MK2), and GS3 Verizon (on 4.3 ML1)...  I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, or that the issue is not inherent with the update.

0 Likes
nevergrownup

Update on my issue of my S4 phone not retaining passwords, shutting wi fi off on its own.

I had also recently updated the phones operating software. This did not fix the issue.

For me, the following worked....

1.Went into safe mode..entered my wi fi password. It was now working fine..(in safe mode)

2. Backed up my data.

3. Performed a factory reset

4. Just filled out information as required on reboot, and the phone now remembers the wi fi password, and auto connects when within range.

5. Restored my contacts.

So far, so good!

So the suggestion that a third party application is causing this problem seems to be true. As someone suggested, I will add one at a time and wait a day to make sure all is fine before adding more.

I am sure this fix will help some, but from the sounds of it, there are way more complex problems with others!

Happy new year to all! Good luck.

Just throwing it out there! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Neal_1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mind20, are you connecting those devices through a 2.4G network? My 2.4G connections work fine. OOKLA gives me in excess of 60Mbps on the S4 before and after the software upgrade... better than my Google tablet. My problem is with 5G networks.

If you are using 5G, is it 5Gn or 5Gac? My new ASUS router is 5Gn,ac capable. If you are able to connect with 5Gn, then maybe my S4 is having trouble negotiating via the new ac protocols. I can't turn off ac in my router. The 5G network will always start by trying to connect by 5Gac first (and the s4 is 5Gac capable, supposedly) before dropping to 5Gn.

I actually feel a little lucky compared to many here. If I had not been watching my router connections I would never have noticed a "problem". In all other respects this phone is terrific. My concern with a new phone when the problem started was that the Broadcom chip was starting to crap out. Now that I am pretty sure it is a software glitch missed by the Dec Verizon patch to the 4.3 upgrade, I would be inclined to hold on to the phone and wait for another patch, or for 4.4 upgrade, if I knew they were coming. Unfortunately, I have until Jan 15 to return/exchange the phone... a dilemma!

0 Likes
Neal_1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Found a "patch" for my 5G wifi connection problem with my S4!  On my router (an ASUS RT68, 5Gn+ac), I took channel selection off of "auto" and set it to 44.   That took me took from essentially not being able to even connect to my 5G wifi network, to connecting at 70Mbps/12Mbps!  This seems to be an issue with Android 4.3 (found this tip in a forum regarding problems Nexus 4 people were having with connections after the 4.3 upgrade).  My Google Nexus tablet took a slight hit in its 5G speed (it is an Android 4.4 system), dropping from 60 to about 50 Mbps download).  This makes me optimistic that a kitkt upgrade on my S4 will let me go back to auto settings and get the most speed for both devices.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Neal_1 wrote:

Found a "patch" for my 5G wifi connection problem with my S4!  On my router (an ASUS RT68, 5Gn+ac), I took channel selection off of "auto" and set it to 44.   That took me took from essentially not being able to even connect to my 5G wifi network, to connecting at 70Mbps/12Mbps!  This seems to be an issue with Android 4.3 (found this tip in a forum regarding problems Nexus 4 people were having with connections after the 4.3 upgrade).  My Google Nexus tablet took a slight hit in its 5G speed (it is an Android 4.4 system), dropping from 60 to about 50 Mbps download).  This makes me optimistic that a kitkt upgrade on my S4 will let me go back to auto settings and get the most speed for both devices.

I left my Asus RT-N65U in auto (it ended up on 36) for the channel selection on the 5 GHz wifi signal. It probably helps there is no one else near me also using the 5 GHz signal on their router. The 2.4 GHz is the one I have to be more careful with the channel section. Each channel is flooded with a neighboring SSID plus overlap from the channel next to it. I don't recall if it is an 5Gn+ac compatible router.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Neal_1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, Ann.   I think I am experiencing your interference issue.  Setting my 5G channel to 44 is not always reliable, so I actually get the best combination of performance for my S4 and Google Nexus table using the "auto" setting with the S4 on my 2G network.  Oh well!  At least it seems to be a software problem.  I am pretty sure your ASUS 65 is a dual n router.  The first ASUS 2(n)/5(n+ac) router was the 66 or 67.  The final ac protocols were just approved last month, so maybe i am suffering the growing pains!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am seeing the same situation with my S4. Issue started with the 4.3 upgrade.

Now I also have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012 edition). With both devices conected to the same Wifi device (the modem supplied by Verizon as a part of my FiOS service) my S4 will sometimes switch to 4G and flash the message that my connection is too slow.

Funny thing....my Note 10.1 is quite content with the same signal, in the same room as the S4 and does NOT switch to 4G. Of course the Note 10.1 is running 4.1.2 as opposed to 4.3.

I ended up disabling the feature that allows the S4 to switch to 4G. This locks the S4 to Wifi, but I may see a banner every so often advising that I have a poor signal.

The fix for this and other S4 issues will have to come from Samsung. They are very much aware of the S4 issues (despite having been told that they are not).

But I do not hold out much hope for a fix at this point. With the S5's rollout in the not too distant future and the fact that Samsung is getting ready to push 4.4.x (Kit Kat) to S4 phones (a provider in France will be the first) my feeling is that Samsung will buy time and hope that the issues will be resolved with the 4.4 upgrade.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the info rdyxrolx. Are you receiving the message that the connection is slow as well, or is it not connecting at all? I understand you have tried different locations, so you may not be able to tell what type of routers they have, but what type of router do you have? Are you able to connect to any wifi hotspots?

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes