Re: Wi-fi issue after 4.3 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wpin, thanks for the heads up. Have you powered your device off/on to soft reset it? Have you downloaded 3rd party applications to your device? If so, I recommend that you uninstall any unwanted applications and power it off/on again. You will then need to test the WiFi feature again. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ntrum

Same exact issue, beyond frustrating! Have been researching for weeks and nothing. Everyone is just trying to point the blame. I thought this was supposed to be one of the best phones on the best network? Guess not

0 Likes
njuneer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem. Link speed on phone shows 72mbps sitting next to router but the best upload speed I get is 3.8mbps down. Tried hard reset, no joy. All other devices on this network are getting 57 mbps to the internet through Comcast. If I try to actually download something, like a podcast from TWIT, I get constant "the wifi connection is unstable" messages.

Problem showed up with 4.3. If I remember correctly, there were many early wifi issues with this phone. I wonder if some yahoo just loaded the original wifi build from development that brought back the wifi toggle and hosed our the actual wifi function.

It is just not acceptable to have a device killing my battery constantly scanning for the network it is attached to, dropping back to LTE from wifi eating up my data plan, and not playing fair with STANDARD NETWORKING EQUIPMENT. It is also not acceptable to be putting all of us through the "reset your phone" dance when there is clearly an issue with the MJ7 update. I understand it might take some work to fix, how about actually communicating to the customers acknowleging the issue and telling us what you will do about it.

Oh, sorry, I forgot this is Verizon. The communications company that does not like to communicate.

RellimDe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here.  Automatic WiFi connectivity between home and work (for example) when there is no WiFi during the drive between, worked just great prior to the MJ7 build (4.3) update.  If I turn WiFi off then immediately back on, it connects to the saved/configured WiFi immediately.  This is an auto-connect problem with either the new build or the new radios.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Njuneer,

Agreed, Its important to have a properly working device at all times! Let's get this fixed. What type of router are you using with Comcast? Have you tried changing the router security settings via the Comcast Admin router admin page to see if the data speeds will increase? Keep me posted.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
njuneer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Pamela,

1) The problem is not limited to the Comcast wireless router. It is also not due to the Comcast wireless router. (Even though it is a limited configurable ***.) There are  devices connected to this router getting full speeds, including an OSX based MBP, 2 Win 7 laptops, an ancient iPhone 3G, my old Droid Bionic, and an iPad.

Besides, even if it were a router compatibility issue, I cannot go around hacking WiFi routers everywhere I go to make them happy with my oddball device..

2) I had a chat session with a rep not long after my original post. He looked into the problem, found numerous reports of the same issue, and said that Verizon has escalated the problem to Samsung. Why cant you all get on the same page? Looking at the posts in this forum and others there is an OBVIOUS problem with 4.3 on the S4.

What we need now is an acknowledgement from Verizon of the problem and a date for a patch. Extra data on our plans may also be warranted since we cannot use our unlimited WiFi connections due to Verizon pushing a broken update onto our devices.

$600 phone that cannot connect to wifi reliably and because of something YOUR COMPANY did to it. Stop telling me to play with my router and fix the freaking phone!

>> Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

ntrum

Pamela,

Please see Njuneer's following response. I can not agree with him anymore.

This is the only tip I keep receiving as well. The connection issue does

not come from WiFi spots, but the phone itself. The issue is not connection

based, but the constant search from the phone, or the wifi being turned

on/off on the phone. I am on my final nerve with this..

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
RellimDe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon (Pamela and all other VZW respondents)

As mentioned in a couple other replies, this absolutely, 100 percent, without a doubt, and completely a bug that Verizon and/or Samsung has introduced with MJ7.  This must become a high priority within your two organizations (Verizon and Samsung) to get this repaired immediately.

What I haven't seen is an admission that there is even a problem with either the MJ7 build and/or the MJ7 baseband.  There clearly is a problem here.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

RellimDe wrote:

Verizon (Pamela and all other VZW respondents)

As mentioned in a couple other replies, this absolutely, 100 percent, without a doubt, and completely a bug that Verizon and/or Samsung has introduced with MJ7.  This must become a high priority within your two organizations (Verizon and Samsung) to get this repaired immediately.

What I haven't seen is an admission that there is even a problem with either the MJ7 build and/or the MJ7 baseband.  There clearly is a problem here.

And yet I have that update without this issue. Gee, I wonder why?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

njuneer
Enthusiast - Level 2

What have you done differently? If you are implying the issue with the hoards of people having this problem immediately after an update is because all of our routers simultaneously changed to a non standard set up then you are not following the logic.

The fact remains I have now tried this phone on 5 different wireless routers in different locations. Varying from this Comcast setup (that in fact gives 57mbps to the internet for Every Other Device in my house), to highly reliable commercial systems. Same issues.

Phone restore. Same issues. It would be interesting to know why some are affected and others are not. Differrent generation of chip maybe? Component issues?

And there is the other fact that a rep acknowledged the problem to me but Verizon as a whole sits silent and unhelpful.