Re: Wi-fi issue after 4.3 update
krissyde
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just purchased a brand new Galaxy S4 Mini YESTERDAY, which has 4.2.2 on it, and I am experiencing the same WiFi issues as everyone mentioned in this thread.  I haven't even had the phone for 24 hours yet.  Last night while at home, the WiFi signal dropped.  When searching for networks, it said that my home network was "out of range".  My laptop, iPad, and Galaxy S3 were all connected with no issues.  After restarting the phone, it connected to WiFi again.  Today while at work, it has dropped from WiFi three times.  Each time it says that the network is "out of range" when I'm sitting right here, until I restart the phone and it connects again.  I noticed that the phone is constantly scanning for WiFi even though it's connected, which is draining the battery.  Even though the phone is asleep and sitting on my desk, it feels warm.  It's not even 3pm and I've got only 32% left on my battery.  To prevent excessive data usage, I simply turned the data off (which I normally do when I'm home and at work anyway, however there isn't a toggle to turn off data on this phone like there was on my S3 so I had to add a shortcut to it).  Since I turned the data off, the WiFi connection hasn't been interrupted (it's been an hour and a half now).

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Happy Thanksgiving krissyde

I was wondering when the first S4 mini post was going to show up. Bummer it's right after you purchased the phone.

Wifi problems can be real probmatic with some phones and someone elses same phone will have no problem. I have the S4 and no problems with Wifi yet.  Your menu system is problably like the S4 so get into the Wifi menu and the Advanced Wifi menu and experiment with the different settings it offers. Does your phone connect to free wifi at Starbucks or Mcdonalds? If it does then if could be your wifi system at home.  Try to reboot the phone or pull the battery if it has a removable battery. Check to see if the drivers on your router need updating, reboot your modem and router.  If you  still can't get the phone to work with your wifi then take it to a Verizion store and see if they can get it to work, The very last thing you can try is a factory reset and if that doesn't work you have a couple of weeks to return the phone for a replacement. If you do take it to Verizion for a replacement make sure it works on wifi before you leave the store.

Good Luck

Jazzmanjazz
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are numerous issues associated with Samsung's latest 4.3 JellyBean Operating system update, not the least of which is the problem with WiFi Connectivity (dropping or 'network too slow' connectivity alerts) and subsequent WiFi 'hunting' by the phones to try and attach, and glitches assiociated with 'HomeWiz'.  No doubt these issues are gobbling energy from the battery which has also led to complaints about battery life as well.  The stark reality is that Verizon chose to roll out the 4.3 update too early onto subscriber's phones, and for me the new OS was inflexible for accepting or chosing network connections slower than Verizon's very fast LTE network (i.e. my corporate WiFi-not much I can do to change that!).   I contacted Verizon, and let them know that I expected the OS to be fixed and that any data overages resulting from switches from workable (and free) WiFi to Verizon's LTE ($$$) network essentially represents more than an inconvenience and ventures into what I consider to be an unacceptable and purchase agreement for my new phone, which no longer works as was originally purchased (October 2013).  The Verizon representative told me they are aware of the technical problems associated with the Samsung rollout and are working with Samsung to make sure that the problem is remedied. Logically this will occur by replacing the botched Samsung update with one that actually works correctly.  In fact, in Europe, Samsung patrons are very furious over this Bungled Samsung 4.3 Roll Out.  To the best of my knowledge, this new rollout is imminent.  Presumably, Verizon will test this new rollout appropriately to their customer's needs and the performance issues that are currently defining the scope of Customers problems this time rather than assuming Samsung has their computer engineering issues all sorted before rolling out another JellyBean OS update.

0 Likes
westside100
Enthusiast - Level 2

My biggest problem since the update has been the inability to connect to access points like Starbucks. I've done everything including the FDR. Essentially the if the s4 even sees the network it will connect then immediately disconnect. No time to get to the browser to do the access point sign it.

One of three things happens:

Sign-In  Required error

Authentication error

Nothing

I need this fixed! I travel where there is only wifi and I need to be able to communicate with my family!

0 Likes
westside100
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got a new 4.3 update...heading to starbucks now.

builder is

I545VRUEMK2

0 Likes
westside100
Enthusiast - Level 2

the new update did NOT fix my problems.

Verizon keeps telling me to get a referb phone. I just can't see how this is a physical problem with the phone. It connects fine to my home router. It's just open access points.

ugh...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Westside100,

I know this certainly must be frustrating! Wi-fi access is important to keep your data usage low. Try going to Settings -> WiFi -> Menu -> Advanced -> 'Auto network switch' and switch this is "off". Keep me posted.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

302Stang
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>Duplicate post removed to comply with the .  See <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Mikebarr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Perfectly stated.

2 updates ago, my wifi got hosed. Constant drops, won't recognize networks, passwords go missing.... Then a new update comes out and it isn't addressed? And worse, you deny the problem?

This is why my wifes phone runs  >>comments removed<<.  By keep us "safe", verizon ruins the experience.  Once my 2 years are up 1 year from tomorrow, i am gone.

I want free 4g too, as i am forced to use it.

>>Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service   Discussion concerning rooting, jailbreaking, modding is not permitted on this forum<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Jazzmanjazz
Enthusiast - Level 2

For What it is Worth, today I downloaded the update through my Verizon Carrier by pressing the 'software update'.(settings>more>about phone>software update) The fixes are rolling out!  This latest one is the Android Version 4.3, build I545VRUEMK2 with the most recent fixes. 

For those unfamiliar with what Android JellyBean is installed on their device, the version you have running is is in settings>more>about phone>and in the greyed out field 'baseband version'.  The previous version was VRUEMJ2. So far so good.  My off brand charger worked without objection from the phone. Check wi-fi snafus/hunting 'slow connection' baloney at work tomorrow and will also watch corresponding battery drain. So far no 'default home wiz' bugs either.  Keep your fingers crossed!