Re: Wi-Fi calling doesn't work, or requests Airplane mode to be turned off
Derekkaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can’t justify whether it works or not since my reception works well and I don’t know if it is wi-fi or not. I also have insurance – can I just switch my phone for a new one?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Derekkaz, We are just as eager to get the WiFi calling feature working for you as you are to have it. I would be very sad if you went through the process of an insurance claim if it is something that can be fixed with your current device. Has WiFi calling ever worked on this phone? Is there anyone else on the account running into this same issue?

Melissa_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Derekkaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, wifi calling has worked on the account before. Nobody else is on this account.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Derekkaz,thanks for that clarification. I want to step back a bit as you indicated in an earlier message that you can't justify if it works or not. With a Wi-Fi call, you will see the Wi-Fi signal with the phone just below it when you're on that type of call. Does that show up next to your call timer when on a call or does it just show the timer? Wi-Fi calling is usually predicated on two things:  HD/Advanced calling being turned on and the Wi-Fi address being validated. Is your HD calling still on and is the emergency address still shown in your Wi-Fi calling settings?

Ebony_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
luigi49221
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been on the phone with Verizon for over an hour trying to get my S8 to do wifi calling to while in airplane mode to operate.

Before the last 2 updates it did work.

Now is just says take phone out of airplane mode to work.

by placing the phone in airplane mode the whole purpose is to make the phone use WIFI ONLY to place voice calls and SMS texts even if there is 1 BAR of service so I don't drops call when the signal is bad (like in a basement of a building) .

After a LONG support call it was determined that the updates seem to have broken the wifi calling while in airplane mode.

HOWEVER...

I have found if I place my phone in airplane mode then immediately connect to a wifi network and reboot the phone it must clean up the 'routing' as both wifi-calling and texting will work.

I have the phone set to use WIFI if Verizon is not the preferred network when roaming.

LCG

Derekkaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I do not see the wi-fi signal on the phone when I’m on a call. My HD calling is still on and the emergency address is still shown. It’s been quite a while that I am not able to use this. Can I just get a replacement phone (exact same model)?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Derekkaz, thanks for the clarification about your display. When you put your phone in Airplane Mode, does it turn off your WiFi? Please put it in Airplane Mode, then go in and turn your WiFi on. After this, please test. If it doesn't work, please turn your phone off and then back on and test. Let us know what happens.

Joel_VZW

0 Likes
Derekkaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have done this before with the same results.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your patience and troubleshooting efforts, Derekkaz. Wi-Fi calling is an important complement to service, especially while indoors. Now, you have mentioned you have insurance and you just want a new phone, has there been any physical or liquid damage to the device? You have completed the majority of troubleshooting, which leaves us to the final troubleshooting step, a factory data reset. The reset is a requirement before a replacement is issued, however, it is imperative you complete a full back up prior. I recommend Verizon Cloud: http://spr.ly/6588DqhIo;

Once you have ensured your content is safe, please reset your device: http://spr.ly/6589DqhIU Please let us know if this resolves the issue.

Gina_VZW

0 Likes
Michae
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have just had a 1-1/2 hour chat with "Key" regarding this, who had me do many of the same things.  She disconnected from the chat by pretending that I wasn't responding and concluding that I wasn't there anymore.  This was very frustrating.  None of these remedies worked for me either, and I see the topic is very active.  Is the factory reset and new phone a practical path?  Shouldn't we be looking at a system problem?  Thank you.

0 Likes