Re: Wi-Fi Calling Service is Terrible
HappyTarheel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue. The Verizon VOIP app does not manage quality the way other, free VOIP calling apps do.  I turn on airplane mode and enable Verizon WIFI calling and 80% of the time people say I am breaking up. It's not my router nor Internet connection because I make calls over Skype, What'sApp or GoogleVoice and the calls are always excellent. 

Verizon WIFI calling is horrible. I guess they have little incentive to make it work well. VOIP calling has been around for over a decade.  It's not that they cannot do it. They don't want to.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you to have issues with your VOIP calling. We are here to help. What's the make and model of your phone? Is this the only issue you are having?

TabithaJ_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
3DFreek

I am having the exact trouble. on my Samsung Note 8 with the very latest android 9  and one ui, I have terrible connection where ppl cannot hear me or I cannot hear them, I call with google voice and clears as if I'm standing next to them. I have turned on airplain mode, then turned on wifi to force the connection through wifi and I have the same terrible signal where ppl cannot hear me or I cannot hear them... after the terrible experience I call them with google voice which is crystal clear.

btw, it has always been this way =/ During the winter time signal is much improved.

HELP Please

0 Likes
3DFreek

UPDATE: I was reading many many different threads to "our" problem and found articles suggesting changing the channel to 9 for 2.4ghz wifi. I just tried it and my calls so far are crystal clear.

Why do I have to scour the web for this information... I've not read this anywhere till today... I will update this thread with any changes

0 Likes
fuffy5492

There doesn’t seem to be a setting which controls wi-fi calling as a priority; instead, it seems that Verizon’s wi-fi calling will choose  which ever appears to be stronger—wi-fi or cell tower—, so when one bar suddenly shows up on my phone, my call which has been successfully connected via wi-fi calling, will shift over to the cell tower and within seconds the call will drop.  Now, mind you, I am no techie, yet as this has happened to me many, many, many times, sooner or later the evidence becomes overwhelming.  The service is so bad that even though I might have a “no service” “icon” showing next to the wi-fi icon, and the wi-fi calling is activated in my settings, the “wi-fi calling” icon does not show up or it shows up intermittently.  My brother has t-mobile and he has no problem activating wi-fi calling when he visits, and his calls do not drop, so I am considering getting a t-mobile phone.  The cell tower is 3 miles away as the bird flies with a hill in between.  CRBuchanan

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how dropped calls can be an annoyance when moving from WiFi to Celluar service. I am sure we will figure this out together. I do want to see what we can do to help. I do want to clarify a few things.  May I have your nearest intersection and zip code? Is anyone else having this issue? AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
Lazaruis

I'm also having this issue.  My and my wife's phones have poor quality when on wifi.  I'm waiting on hold right now with tech support to see what they say.  Zip code 34480, by a bad cell dead zone at the three-way stop intersection of SE 52nd ST, SE 44th AVE RD and SE 41st CT.  I'm in a cell dead zone in the middle of a middle class neighborhood that you'd think would have good cell reception.  We're heavily dependent on wifi-calling, and yet it's as poor as cellular at times.  I have good 25 mbps download, and we can stream movies on multiple computers at the same time, and yet can't use wifi calling half the time when that's all the traffic on the network.  Today, we had the first big cold front hit us in Ocala, FL, and my wife was upset that she has to walk out to the road to get a good cellular signal because her wifi calling was so choppy that it was useless!

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

A reliable service is a must and we are here to help. When did you start having issues with Wifi Calling, has there been any issues with your Wifi since this started? What did we advise with regard to the service issues you had on the call you were on? 

0 Likes