Re: Wi-Fi Calling Service is Terrible
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want you to have a great wireless experience with WiFi calling, tuzzanti. It sounds like you have very solid WiFi connections. Have you called our tech support team at 800-922-0204 to troubleshoot the issue? If you have, what steps have you done? I don't want to ask you to do the same things twice. Also, what is your phone model?

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BuckeyeViking

Having the same exact problem!  I just moved to a new apartment where my signal ranges from 0 to 1 bar.  I turned on wifi calling but the phone sees the deplorable signal and still considers it good enough to prioritize over my strong wifi signal.  There appears no way to change this preference.  Please fix so I can use my phone at home.  Cheers!

0 Likes
sanjay_radia

I have tried Wifi calling with Verizon and it is terrible. Indeed I have *excellent* WIFI at my work and Home (WhatsApp/Viber works beautifully even with Video). However the Verizon wifi calling is terrible. At home I wanted to use it since my verizon reception is very low. At work my verizon reception is good (not excellent but good).

In both places the Wifi calling is terrible. Called verizon they did their trouble shooting - did not help.  Maybe Verizon should hire the engineers in WhatsApp or Viber to teach them how to do voice over IP.

ALl those comments saying use app x or app y - this does not help. I am calling regular land line numbers and need to have my phone work.

Verizon needs to fix this and stop the nonsense of your router is not good -- mine is a top notch router and I am a networking professional and know what I am doing.

0 Likes
ingleberg

I get 1 bar cellular coverage in my house.   A few years ago I coughed up $250 bucks for a Verizon network extender so I could make calls over my internet connection.   It worked great.   Then they came out with Wifi Calling, and that also worked flawlessly.   So I sold the network extender.

But the last few months have been awful... I can't keep a call going even if I run outside. 

Verizon, PLEASE acknowledge that there is a problem, and that Wifi Calling is not working for customers with poor cellular coverage.   Turning on airplane mode in my house is NOT an acceptable solution.   Add a setting to prefer wifi over cellular.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

It's two steps. How can it not be acceptable? What if there were no wifi calling? I would have kept the extender. Craigslist, amazon, you name it you can find it.

And no I do not work for VZW.

0 Likes
Totemny

I really wish you would answer this question..  I also have one bar, I just recently signup for Verizon and was hoping your wifi calling feature can save me from the dead spot I am in.  I would prefer to use Wifi Calling in my home.

How can I have my iphone prefer Wifi Calling over cellular and keep it there while im at home. when it tries to go back and forth it hangs up for about 10 seconds..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Totemny, I know that I too would want to ensure my connection remained with WiFi Calling, and not revert back to VZW services. If you enable Airplane Mode while you are connected to WiFi, (and WiFi calling is set up and active) will your phone stay connected with this service feature?

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ZITHERO
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your most recent update has literally prevented this work around from working.

As of now, attempting to select "Airpane Mode" and keeping the wifi calling on, produces the following "Error" message:

"Turn off Airplane mode.

Unable to make calls in Airplane mode.   To allow calls, Airplane mode will be turned off."

This means that, now, I can't use Wifi Calling even when I want - meaning that I basically must use my home phone at all times - I'm just glad I didn't cancel it last month (I would have... had this issue been resolved, now it's even worse!)

There HAS to be a solution. A Real one.

d_workman
Enthusiast - Level 1

After going through the Verizon troubleshooting mill, the solution offered was to purchase their "extender" which is supposed to make your router look like a cell tower.

I have good wifi signal throughout house and terrible cell reception. I used the airplane mode workaround until that was blocked.

Verizon tech said that Verizon has no control over updates pushed through their system and blame this on "android".

How sad for poor weak Verizon!

Their "extender" sales may help relieve their gloom, make wall St. and the board happy so that dim bulbs get their bonus.

0 Likes
HappyTarheel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue. The Verizon VOIP app does not manage quality the way other, free VOIP calling apps do.  I turn on airplane mode and enable Verizon WIFI calling and 80% of the time people say I am breaking up. It's not my router nor Internet connection because I make calls over Skype, What'sApp or GoogleVoice and the calls are always excellent. 

Verizon WIFI calling is horrible. I guess they have little incentive to make it work well. VOIP calling has been around for over a decade. It's not that they can't do it, it's that they don't want to.

0 Likes