Why must I file an insurance claim?
h500driver

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge that will not currently charge via the wall charger. Spoke with a very friendly tech support woman who tried to help to no avail. This phone is advertised as waterproof and being on the water quite a bit I chose to go with this device. It has been wet numerous times and the phone just keeps on going, the problem that persist now is that it will not charge from the wall charger or connect to the computer so I cant transfer data either. Luckily I have a wireless charger at home but that doesn't help when I'm at work and need to plug in to the pc. The only option after quite a bit of troubleshooting was that I file a claim with insurance in the amount of $199.00 which I think is absurd and should be owed a replacement.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why must I file an insurance claim?
Klue
Master - Level 1

The phone is advertised as water resistant, not water proof, a huge difference, It has an IP68 rating for moisture and dust. Continued use of the phone in wet conditions will ultimately cause damage to the metal pieces in the charging port which is not protected from the environment. An occasional dunking will not harm if it is dried off right away. Since your charging port is probably damaged, my guess because of excessive moisture, it would be considered owner caused and therefore an insurance claim is required for repairs.

View solution in original post

Klue
Master - Level 1

The phone is advertised as water resistant, not water proof, a huge difference, It has an IP68 rating for moisture and dust. Continued use of the phone in wet conditions will ultimately cause damage to the metal pieces in the charging port which is not protected from the environment. An occasional dunking will not harm if it is dried off right away. Since your charging port is probably damaged, my guess because of excessive moisture, it would be considered owner caused and therefore an insurance claim is required for repairs.

Tidbits
Legend

Sounds like you charged your phone while the port is wet. There has been multiple disclaimers that say you can damage the port by doing that while the port is wet.

bearone21
Legend

you have an insurance claim, not a warranty claim.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can try a wireless connection between the phone and your computer to transfer information with an application like AirDroid: File Transfer/Manage - Android Apps on Google Play.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You can always get another wireless charger if you need one for work. That would most likely be less than the $199 insurance claim. You appear to have an insurance claim, not a warranty claim.

0 Likes