Re: 2nd Half of Lollipop Update Fails
wally93772
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone was set to download over wifi and the first update went fine. After the first update, my wifi was not connected and the second update failed. I setup my wifi and tried the second update again and it worked fine.

Have everything installed and updated and really like it much better than the previous version.

Hope this helps.  Smiley Happy

millerlp

I was actually able get the update to work by using odin to put a stock image on my phone. It actually doesn't void your warranty as long as you use a official sign image from Samsung or Verizon. Which is something that bestbuy might use.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
hiyoguy, thanks for keeping us posted. Did you download the same applications that you had before? Some 3rd party applications can affect the performance of your device.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
JeffD1975,

I understand the urgency to get to the bottom of this! Software updates are important, we want you to be able to enjoy them as well.
Thankfully, your screenshots were a great help. Your build number does not match to Samsung's software updates in the past. Yours shows one ending in RUFNK4 which was not released to us. This explains why the error states it's not compatible.

In addition, there is only one update for the Galaxy S4 (which is what this forum is labeled), so there is no need to have 2 updates, part one and two.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

AdaS_VZW

For what its worth build number ending in RUFNK4 is what is waiting on my S4 to install.  I have declined the offer twice. Also it is a two part download and install according to the instructions.

August1959
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everyone I know has been prompted to install this first "This first of 2 software updates for your Samsung Galaxy S4 prepares your device for the next update which is Android 5.0 (Lollipop)." This is considered to be "Part 1" of the update.

My phone indicates my Baseband version as I545VRUFNK1. My Build number is KOT49H.I545VRUFNK1.

This "Part 1" changes the "Build number" to "RUFNK1" to "RUFNK4".

0 Likes
August1959
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon Wireless Customer Support

The "Kernel version" on JeffD1975's phone shows an earlier "Kernel version" than my phone. My phone has a "Kernel version" of "dpi@SWDD6215 #1 > Tue Nov 4 23:03:49 KST 2014"

Could this be the problem? Some users have a different "Kernel version" than others?????

0 Likes
August1959
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually JeffD1975 "Kernel version" is later than mine!

0 Likes
JeffD1975
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I wanted to let everyone that has been posting here know that I found a fix for my phone.  This will may work for you too if you are having the same 402 error.

I called Verizon support... after declining an early upgrade that would only cost me an additional $4 a month to get a new S6, they told me I could also go to Best Buy and visit the Samsung Experience.  They have the ability to do a full factory image (not a reset) on Samsung Phones.   I went into Best Buy, and the Samsung rep spent some time trying to get the 5.0.1 image to load, but it wouldn't load for him either.  He ended up doing reinstall 4.4.2 (before the NK4 update) and then trying the NK4 and 5.0.1 - both of which failed.  He said he's seen this before and that I should try to load the NK4 and 5.0.1 via OTA, which might work.

I went home because Wifi is faster than 4G and did the OTA updates - which worked and now I'm up and running.

So that fixed it.  Oh - probably worth noting that everything the Samsung rep did with imaging did not require me to reconfigure my phone.  All my apps, settings and data was still there.  If you are unwilling to try the factory reset option (which didn't fix it for me either...) then I'd suggest trying this route first.