Why is my device registering button presses that I did not make?
oks10
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife and I seem to be having similar issues with each of our phones. She has a S7 which, while the phone is sitting not being touched, will occasionally turn the lock screen on as if the home button had been pressed. She even just texted me telling me that the phone was sitting on the table next to her when her phone turned on the camera in selfie mode all on it's own. She wasn't holding it or touching it, it was just sitting there on the table. I have similar issues on my S7Edge but with the recent-apps/multi-window button. I'll be using my phone and randomly the recent apps window comes up, or it tries (successfully or unsuccessfully depending on if the app I'm in supports it) to go in to multi-window view. We both have Otterbox Symmetry cases so we KNOW we're not accidentally touching anything (especially when her phone is sitting on a table...) We've had both of our phone for just over 2 weeks now and neither phone is rooted. Anyone else have this problem? Do we just need to return the phones for new ones?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phantom button presses (Both S7 and S7Edge)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

oks10, your time and efforts are appreciated. This issue has been lifted up to Samsung as it has now been reported by several S7 users across different carrier networks. They are working on a software update to resolve this occurrence.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

radar320
Contributor - Level 2

I have the same thing with my S7 edge.  I just turned off the always on display and will see if that makes a difference.  I will report back if that solves the issue.

0 Likes
radar320
Contributor - Level 2

Just an update.  After turning off the always on display, I have not had the screen come on on it's own.

0 Likes
oks10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your issue was the screen turning on though right? With our phones, the one that keep turning on (and even opening the camera) doesn't have AOD on. The one that DOES have AOD on isn't turning the screen on by itself but its trying to open the recent apps window and enable mulitwindow mode. It's like one phone has a fault with the home button and the other a fault with the recent apps button. I haven't taken either to our Verizon store yet because we have two of the Gear S2 promo watches coming and I don't want to do anything that might mess that up before we get them.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don’t want your phones to act up on you, oks10. Do you phones have cases on them? If so please test the phone out without them. Also have you restarted the phones since this issue too?
StevenG_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
oks10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Both phones had the issues before we purchased cases and continued after the cases were put on. A case shouldn't cause my wife's issue of simulating a home button press to turn the screen on and open the camera though. Both cases are Otterbox Symmetry cases. I will post again with an update after restarting both phones and giving them a day or two to test everything out. I'm not sure to the frequency of my wife's phantom home button issue but my phantom recent apps/multiwindow button happens every other day, if not daily. More so in the evening but that's also when I'm mainly on my phone. I would say a solid majority of the times that the phantom recent apps press occurs is when I'm swiping something on the screen, so scrolling through the gallery, facebook, instagram, etc. or when I'm typing using the keyboard swipe (stock keyboard app). It also did it once while I was recording a video.

0 Likes
oks10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: Restarted my phone (S7 edge)  about 4pm and the recent apps phantom press happened again by 10pm. It opened my recent apps window and closed it multiple times over a period of several seconds. I just sat there watching it. I then took the case off and kept using my phone and it happened again. I was using Chrome when it happened this time. This really looks to be a defect if it's happening with or without the case and even after a reset. No update for our other phone yet.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We’ve got you covered oks10. Thank you for testing the phone without the case. Let’s check a few more details. Have you updated the software to the current version? How often does this happen with the phones? Do you recall any changes or newly installed app when the issue started?

StevenM_VZW

0 Likes
oks10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last system update was on March 28th, 2016. "Software updated to G935VVRU2APB5". I think that was actually the 2nd system update since getting the phone in mid March. There hasn't been an app installed that correlates to the issue starting. It started happening the first week I had the phone but at that time I didn't have a case and thought, with how sensitive this screen is, that I might have accidentally been triggering it with my pinky. After I got the case and noticed it still happening I realized that my pinky wasn't causing it. Last night when it was going on I was gripping the phone by the edges just watching the screen dance, nothing remotely close to touching the recent apps button.

0 Likes
oks10
Enthusiast - Level 3

(I tried editing the previous post to add this but it wouldn't let me for some reason.) This happens at least every other day, if not every day. I mostly notice it in the evening but that's likely because that's when I normally am on my phone. I don't use it much during the day. I also don't recall it ever happening immediately after I started using my phone, generally it's after a few minutes of use but I've never noticed the phone get hot before. (I'm trying to think of anything and everything that might be useful info. )

0 Likes