Why does my S9 device keep asking me to update?
hdgibson11

Just purchased a NEW Samsung Galaxy S9 from BestBuy on Saturday.  Called Verizon from home to activate the line yesterday because was having problems.  The new phone is now active, but since then we have completed 3 system updates (all have said that they were completed sucessfully) and the system now says that an update is required again.  4 updates in less than 12 hours does not seem normal and is very annoying.  I realize they may have an update or two in the queque, but it seems to be stuck on the same update even though it was completed successfully. How can I fix this?  Right now we have delayed the 4th update, but can only delay for so long before it forces it.  Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does my S9 device keep asking me to update?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hdgibson11, congratulations on your new phone! We certainly understand your concern regarding the updates. I would be annoyed as well if my phone was updating like that as well. What is the latest software update on the phone? To learn how visit http://spr.ly/6601EoUUV

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
hdgibson11

The latest software version is R16NW.G960USQU3BRJ5.  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone itself hadn't been updated since it was placed into the package. There have likely been a number of monthly security updates and maybe a major update since it was built.

This is the most recent version that you should have on your phone. 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s9-update/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
hdgibson11

If this is the most current version, why is it asking me to update again already?  Any ideas on how to make it stop telling me a  system update is available?  Thank you!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

did you ever get a notiification that the update completed?? 

have you tried on wi-fi?

0 Likes
hdgibson11

Yes, the notifications come across that the update was completed successfully.  All have been done on wi-fi then within 5 minutes the alert reappears. Thoughts?  Thank you!

0 Likes
hdgibson11

I will let it upgrade again and see what happens. What is considered a normal number of upgrades to allow before it is too many? 6 or 8? Thanks again!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
It is on system update 12.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You should not have problems on a new device already. I would be equally concerned if this were to happen to me Hdgibson11. I would love to help. I do know that if the device does sit for a while that there may be software that may need to be updated on the device. I know it has been a while is your device asking to be updated again? You can find the latest software for your phone here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s9-update/   Please keep me posted. AmberF_VZW

0 Likes