Why can't my device receive text messages?
ZackAshe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Day 1 of using my Galaxy S7(upgraded from Note 2) I encountered a strange issue where I can easily send texts, using stock Message app, but I can't receive them. I've tried rebooting phone, clearing cache/data, deleting old messages, double checking message spam filter, double checking signal, doing a rain dance, and switching to Verizon message + app. No luck! Any suggestions/advice would help before I go to Verizon store soon.Thanks.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy s7 sending texts but not receiving them
Lougratz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Solution:  Called Tech support and had them deactivate and reactivate, then I shut off phone and restarted now texts are coming in!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CP23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has your text messaging problem been resolved? I just upgraded to the S7 today and not receiving text messages either. I can send out but not receive them. Did all the troubleshooting you mentioned too.

0 Likes
mikkid319
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the exact same issue too!  I just activated my phone today and I tried every single messaging app that was on the phone (even turning off or deleting the other versions before trying the next).  I've tried the Samsung/stock messaging, google hangouts, google messaging, and Verizon+.  And on all of them I can send the text message, see that it's delivered, I check with who I sent it to and they confirmed they received it (as well as confirming they replied), and then NOTHING.  I just switched from the Motorola Droid phone (not sure if that makes a difference or not).

CP23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried all those things too! Spent over a half hour on the phone with a Verizon representative and he couldn't figure it out either. He recommended going to Verizon store tomorrow and switching devices, that's if they even have anymore S7's in stock. But since there is multiple of us having this problem, it's definitely not a device issue. Not sure what to do. 😞

ZackAshe
Enthusiast - Level 2

So far no luck. Tried chatting with tech support and an hour or so later she couldn't figure it out either stating that it was affecting many S7 users and that Verizon is working to resolve the issue. but that could be a generalized cop out. I just simply want to text properly. I'll try the store tomorrow and probably another S7. Good luck and I'll update when a fix is made.

0 Likes
ZackAshe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just noticed something this morning as fumbling with factory reset and such.Maybe it is SIM card related. Mine said already active, which maybe from my very first activation(which failed many times before finally completing.) but the strange thing is 'My Phone Number' is listed as (000)000-0000. I can make calls, get them, send texts, use data/wifi, gps, but not get texts. Despite all of this, the customer service rep from last night said that my phone was showing up as not activated.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

That must be the cause, a partial activation, good catch! Are you able to try it with a different sim, like from a former phone with your number, or have them deactivate the new sim and let it activate again? It sounds like the original activation may have occurred when Verizon had some system outages so that's likely the cause.

0 Likes
CP23
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is weird. My phone does state my correct phone # and Rep said it is active. Only thing he recommended to do was try a factory shutdown and start over. Haven't tried that yet as I'm going to go into the store first.

0 Likes
Lougratz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issues here.

0 Likes
mikkid319
Enthusiast - Level 2

That might be possible about the partial activation.  I received my phone through pre-order so I don't know if some of it was activated before I got it.  I took it into the store anyway and the store rep said that it showed that it was already activated for some reason and he had to go on his computer to set things up for my phone.  Maybe between the set-up at Verizon and what the store rep did, something didn't take. 

If I look at the section "About Phone" it does show my cell number.  Is there another section for the SIM card?  This is my first Samsung phone so I have no idea where they have things hidden.  Unfortunately I can't go back to the store today and won't be able to have them take a look at it until tomorrow.  Hopefully *WE* (apparently Verizon customer service has not a clue!) can figure it out or at least narrow it down.  I'd really hate to have to reset my phone and/or get a new one.

0 Likes