Why can't I set up my verizon.net e-mail account on my phone. I keep getting an authentication error, however, my password and email ID are current. How do I fix this?
akarrington
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to set up verizon.net e-mail on my new phone.  I use the wizard and when I hit the next button, I get an error message that says, "Unable to connect to server (-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed).

What am I missing?  How do I fix this?  I have had this e-mail account for years.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I set up my verizon.net e-mail account on my phone. I keep getting an authentication error, however, my password and email ID are current. How do I fix this?
akarrington
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got it set up. I had to manually set up my e-mail with yahoo mails POP3 and IMAP server names. Once I updated those, my e-mail connected. Done

View solution in original post

Re: Why can't I set up my verizon.net e-mail account on my phone. I keep getting an authentication error, however, my password and email ID are current. How do I fix this?
timpanist

I am experiencing the same problem. Using Setup Wizard on my new Samsung Galaxy S5, trying to add my hotmail account that I've had forever, and keep getting an authentication error.  Crossing my fingers that someone can help, can't get past this point in Setup.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

First go to (settings) and then (tap accounts), next tap on (add account) and then (tap e mail). Enter all required information and this then should allow you to set up your regular e mail account that you will use.

0 Likes
Re: Why can't I set up my verizon.net e-mail account on my phone.  I keep getting an authentication error, however, my password and email ID are current.  How do I fix this?
stef7
Master - Level 2

An alternate might be to try a download like K9Mail. I prefer this on my LG G2 over the stock mail program.

Also, be careful of special characters and such, even upper-case which might happen because of your currently selected keyboard.

Good luck.

0 Likes
akarrington
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got it set up. I had to manually set up my e-mail with yahoo mails POP3 and IMAP server names. Once I updated those, my e-mail connected. Done

RIPH

I also continue to experience the Authentication error on my S5 as well as my wife's Note 3. One week ago, Verizon made us change our password on the email account and the mobile email has been unavailable since. I've deleted the account and still can not add the account on either phone. I continue to receive the authentication error. I have also gotten the K9 app and get the same message when trying to set the account up in the K9 app. Help. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Why can't I set up my verizon.net e-mail account on my phone.  I keep getting an authentication error, however, my password and email ID are current.  How do I fix this?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RIPH Let's get your email working again! Are you able to access your account on the computer? On the phone, are you setting up the account manually? If so, what are you entering for incoming and out going server information?

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes