Why can't I put my picture on my Caller Name ID?
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not sure where to take this question -- the Verizon customer service phone gives me endless ads and then finally puts me on hold forever -- so I thought I would try this forum.  If I can't get an answer here, I will try the phone number again.

I have a paid subscription to Verizon Caller Name Id on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, but it seems to have a bug.  When I bring up the app and touch Picture ME, I see the blank profile image and the message No Picture Selected.  So I touch SELECT a Picture, Choose an Existing Picture, and I get to the Select a Photo Screen, which lists among other things my file on the phone called Downloads. I touch that and see some photos, including one of me.  I touch the photo of me, and the phone screen goes black and stays black no matter how long I wait. Touching the screen does nothing.  Touching the Home key brings back the Home Screen.  Bringing  back Verizon Caller Name Id shows that there is still no picture selected. 

I've tried this repeatedly with two different pictures (in case the problem was with the image file,) always with the same results.

The Account Tools/About in the app says I have version 3.12.7 of 2015-07-30.  Maybe I need an update, but I don't see any way of initiating one in the app, and I haven't noticed any routine automatic updates of this app.

Can anyone either from Verizon or otherwise tell me what is wrong?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I put my picture on my Caller Name ID?
gainessv
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know I am late on this post but I had the same issue and it has to do having permission to access storage on your phone. Try these steps:

Go To

Settings

Apps

App Manager

Caller Name ID

Permissions

Make sure storage is on.

Retry selecting pic in the app.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Telemachus - Being able to customize your phone to your preference is certainly an essential function of having that device. I welcome the opportunity to address your inquiry. What is the file type of the photo you're trying to add from that downloads folder (.jpg,.gif etc.)? Also, do you have a copy of the photo stored in the regular photo gallery and not just in the download folder. Have you tried a picture that's located directly in the gallery itself from the phone's camera folder and not an outside folder source?

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Trying to answer your question leads to more confusion.

The image in question is a jpg.

When I hit the Gallery icon from my home screen, I get a page with three images on it, one of which is the image I want to set for my Caller ID app.  But there seems to be no connection between this page and the Caller ID Picture ME function.

When I bring up the app and touch Picture ME, I see the blank profile image and the message No Picture Selected.  I touch SELECT a Picture, Choose an Existing Picture, and I get to the Select a Photo Screen, and I see three files: one is Photos, and if I touch that, I see a lot of my photos, but none is the image from Gallery that I want to use for my Picture ME.  Under that it says Device Photos, showing Camera, which contains only an irrelvant image, and Downloads, which contains two photos, one of which is the one I want to use for Picture Me.  But as I said, if I touch Downloads and get those pictures, and then touch the one I want to use, the screen just goes black.  And I don't see any way from the Select A Picture screen I get when I touch Downloads to move that picture anywhere else.

In other words, the picture I want to use seems to be in the "regular picture gallery," since I see it when I touch the Gallery icon, but the Caller ID app seems only to know about the image in the Downloads folder, and then the app freaks out when I try to use that picture from that folder.

I have no idea how to get that picture to anywhere where the Caller ID app can use it.

0 Likes
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

I meant to add that I'm paying extra for this app every month so I expect it to work.  If it isn't going to work, I want to know how to quit paying for it and whether I can get a credit back for the money I've paid for it so far.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Telemachus,

We will uncover this Caller ID app mystery. I know it’s important to you to make sure this application works. Any application updates available? Have you made any recent changes on your device?

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't made any updates to the phone except the routine app updates that I'm prompted for.  I haven't made any other changes.

This Picture Me feature has never worked ever since I got the Caller Id app on the phone.

As I said in my original post, the Account Tools/About in the app says I have version 3.12.7 of 2015-07-30.  Maybe I need an update, but I don't see any way of initiating one in the app, and I haven't noticed any routine automatic updates of this app.

I have Android 5.1.1 on the phone.

It seems to me this ought to be reported as a bug.  No matter what input I give an app, if it responds by simply blacking out the device with no error message and no graceful recovery, that's by definition a bug.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here and not giving up on your issue, Telemachus. Let's continue to work on this together. Please go to the Settings in your device. Once here please check for a software update on the device. If there are any software updates please do so.

RobinD_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our goal is to get the app working properly Telemachus. The information you have given us is very helpful. As there’s no update for the app, let’s Clear the Data for it and try uploading the picture. When clearing the data for this app it will not affect anything but the app itself. Please use this link http://vz.to/1RD2Vqx and open the option for “Reset Your Apps”. Please follow these steps to find the Caller ID app and the option to Clear Data. Once this is done, you can open the app like normal and upload the picture.

StevenM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

I followed the instructions to stop the app and clear data, started Caller

Id again,and tried to set the picture from the downloads file. Same

result: screen blacked out and stayed that way no matter how long I left it.

I then stopped the app and cleared data again, powered off the phone,

started it again, started Caller Id, and tried to set the same picture.

Same result.

I then started Caller ID again and tried to set a picture from the Camera

folder instead of the Downloads folder. Same result.

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Telemachus, We know you've been working on the caller id picture function for quite some time. Based on the information I see, you have to make sure you are registered for Share ID via My Verizon. How have you confirmed your name and information has been added to our online data base?

SheritaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes