Re: Problem with OS 4.3 on Galaxy S4, key pad and dial a number does not work
MTGrizSteve
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue, and like many of you was told by VZ to do a hard reset.  I backed up my photos, insured my contacts were backed up, and took the plunge.  Same as many of you, it did not work...same problem came back.  I think the hard reset is what Level 1 type techs at VZ read from their scripts, which is why you seem to get nowhere.  I'm not going to hard reset my phone over and over for what is obviously an OS problem.

I also tried the Contacts+ app and it circumvented the problem.  If you use Contacts+ to clear the phone call log, it temporarily clears up the problem with the VZ native dialer.  I find that after a quantity of calls are made and the VZ dialer "recent calls" log builds up, the problem returns and you have to go to Contacts+ to again clear the call log.   Squirrelly method, but it works.

I am going to try changing the phone date format trick mentioned here...if it solves the problem permanently I'd love it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MTGrizSteve We appreciate you trying the factory reset. The reset is recommened by the manufacturer of your device as an advanced step to try and clear the phone from potential faulty updates or apps. We apologize that this did not work for your situation. Please keep us posted if your method does fix the problem. Thank you for sharing your feedback and tips!

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
SAShedroff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this problem, still.  I have reset data, multiple times. I have received a new phone.  Problem still exists with new Phone. Verizon Tech said wait for next OTA upgrade, that should fix it - told that in November.  I have a phone that does not work like a phone.  Been this way for months!  Had an OTA upgrade in late December, did not fix problem.  Tech said its a know corruption in the Contacts Database that needs to be addressed with a software upgrade, or delete all 4000 contacts, one by one, and enter them all again by hand (that's actually what the Verizon Tech told me would fix this). A phone that can't make calls is pretty USELESS Verizon.  If I were paying by the minute of use, you would fix this immediately. But since I prepay in bulk you don't care that I don't make many calls because it takes so much effort (work aound it to add user to contact list first).  I cannot return calls. I can not make direct calls. When my contract is up, Verizon will not be my first choice.  I hear other phone companies have comparable family plans now.  Just saying.  3 months and waiting for a fix..... 13% of my contract time with  a broken phone, waiting for warrantee service.  Maybe the Ohio Attorney general should know about this abuse?

GeekyMom

I just tried the change date format suggestion and it worked! Keeping my fingers crossed that it's a permanent fix.

I have had the problem since the November(?) update. I had hopes that the December update would resolve it, but it didn't. I reset the phone twice, and got smart and took photos of my screens so I didn't have to go by memory when setting up the phone after the second reset. The local Verizon store had no idea of a solution other than multiple resets. I dealt with it by creating a contact for each and every number I had to call which was a major (removed) especially when traveling and trying to contact local restaurants, etc.

This is the first time since beginning my self-help quest that I came across the change date suggestion. It would be so less frustrating if Verizon would simply acknowledge that it's a known issue and offer temporary workaround solutions.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
ldybg827

I have the same problem. This is my 1st smartphone and it is so aggravating when you go to access your voicemail - the keypad comes and goes. But it never lasts long enough to key in my code. After 2 hard resets I refuse to keep doing that. Somebody needs to come up with a fix! And the people at the Verizon store are clueless.

0 Likes