Why can't I connect to bluetooth after the update?
CaptPierce
Enthusiast - Level 1

During the first week of January, my Galaxy S3 did an automatic system update.  Since that time, bluetooth is not working properly and I have not been able to obtain any valid help.

Prior to the update, my S3 would connect automatically to any/all of my bluetooth accessories - all I had to do was turn them on.  Specifically, I have a Motorola Elite Flip earpiece, a Motorola S-10 headset, a Garmin GPS, and the Ford MySync in my 2013 Ford Edge.  Now, after the update, the S3 will not connect to any of the devices automatically, and it struggles to connect manually.  I have to go to the bluetooth menu on the S3 and manually keep tapping on the name of the bluetooth device over and over (up to 10 - 12 times, waiting in between each time until it stops trying to connect) until it finally connects.

I have deleted every bluetooth device and paired them all again - no luck.  I have made sure any portable bluetooth devices are fully charged - no luck.  I have contacted my Ford dealer and discussed with them - they are going to check, but they are confident that since the Ford MySync worked perfectly up until the software/system update, that the problem is not with the Ford system, but instead with the new software.  I called VZW and spoke to a very nice woman who was not able to help me one bit.  All she could do is tell me that she searched "her database" and there has not been any mention of this issue with the upgrade.  She then gave me a phone number to call Samsung directly.  That, my friends, is the definition of "a cop-out."

Bottom line, whenever I want to use a bluetooth device with my S3, I have to waste 10 minutes trying to manually pair it.  This is unbelievably annoying.  When I get out of my Ford Edge to go into a restaurant, for example, and then get back in the car, I have to sit in a parking lot for 10 more minutes trying to get the phone to connect to the Sync.

My wife and kids all have S3 phones and they are all experiencing the same issues.  We are also have additional problems since the update, such as all ringtone settings were wiped, all photos associated with contacts were wiped, and all of my customized settings/options were reset.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a fix?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S3 Bluetooth not connecting after Jan 2014 update
Buckeye18
Enthusiast - Level 1

Finally found this answer and it worked for me!

From the main menu in SYNC, choose Systems Setting, then Advance, then MAP Profile. Make sure MAP Profile is turn ON. Also texting has returned to SYNC.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CaptPierce
Enthusiast - Level 1

Guess I am on a island - nada for responses, even from Verizon.  In fact, the customer service from Verizon on this issue has been the poorest customer service I have had ever, from any company, anywhere, in my life.  No wonder T-mobile is offering $650 to buy out Verizon contracts.  With this level of poor support, both phone and internet, I can see why people want to leave VZW.  This is certainly making me rethink my 14 years I have been a VZW customer.

0 Likes
ramjac
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm experiencing the same exact issue with my Samsung S3. What I've determined is that my bluetooth only works between the hours of 8 am to 10 pm ET. Bizarre. If I use it after 10 pm at night, it cuts off when the phone goes to sleep mode. When I'm on my way into work in the morning (6 am) it cuts off after it goes to sleep mode. What I've also noticied is that the display brightness forces to auto between 10 pm and 8 am in addition to the bluetooth turning off. This is only since the last update was done last Thursday.

Very frustrating!

brian-s3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Exact same problem here.  Cannot connect to my Ford Fusion SYNC starting the day after the Jan 2014 verizon/android update.  SYNC tries to connect when I turn on the engine, but fails after a few minutes.  If I turn off bluetook and on from my phone, then pair it manually, then it connects.  Pretty annoying!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello CaptPierce,

My sincere apologies for the issues at hand with your device. We always want to make sure your device is fully functional 24/7. When it comes to your bluetooth connection on your device, there have been some changes made by Samsung with the update. When changes are made certain systems do become incompatible due to the listed system also needing to now be updated to match your devices new software. Have you completed a full restore on the device? In order to discuss options for this issue we do recommend reaching out to the manufacturer of your device, Samsung for additional support. They can be reached by visiting http://bit.ly/IJvmpJ. Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
rose2478

I'm having the exact same problem, same time frame. Ford Fusion Sync can't find my Samsung Galaxy 3. It the most used feature on my phone! Verizon needs to resolve this issue.

0 Likes
netboy47

I had the exact same problem.  Trying just about everything (unpairing, deleting phone from sync, etc), I did a factory reset.

I then re-synced the phone to Ford Sync and voila!  Worked like a charm.

Of course by doing the factory reset, you have to re-install all your apps, enter usernames and passwords and re-arrange all your screens, but at least the S3 and Ford Sync work.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
dochersh

I am having the same issue with my Galaxy S3 and my Buick Enclave 2014.  Syncing the phone totally confuses the Intellilink system to the point of a shut down.  This after 4 months of perfect connectivity.  All due to the Samsung software update to 4.3.   

Another Android phone running 4.1.2 still works perfectly.

Verizon rep offered absolutely no assistance other than to say it was Samsung's issue and wait for an update.

Buick dealer at least assured me they were working on a software update for vehicles to accommodate phone maker's and service vendor's incompetence.

This is the end of the line for me as a Verizon or Samsung customer.  This is not the first time Verizon has refused to step up and offer anything (such as early phone upgrade at reduced price, etc.).

0 Likes
rose2478

I did get a fix from Samsung when I called them, but I also had to reset the Sync in my car to make it work. Now it is back to working perfectly. Too bad Verizon wasn't more helpful. I don't want any more software "upgrades!"

0 Likes
EasyRock

Hi Rose2478,

I am having the same issues as posted above.  Would you mind posting the fix that you got from Samsung.  Much appreciated.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes