Why can't I change my lock screen wallpaper anymore?
DawnO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since the Lollipop update this morning, I'm unable to change the lock screen wallpaper on my Galaxy S4.

I go to Settings -> Display -> Wallpaper and change the drop down from "Home Screen" to "Lock Screen". I then select an image at the bottom of the window. I've tried the stock images, and things from my gallery. I hit the "SET AS WALLPAPER" button at the bottom, and when I go back to my lock screen, I still have that STUPID hot-air balloon.

If I repeat the process and select "Home Screen", it changes the wallpaper as expected. WTF?!

Also, the new notifications blow chunks! And my next set alarm used to display on the lock screen. That is also now gone, so I don't have an easy way at a glance to confirm I've got an alarm set.

I want to roll back! This has got to be the worst phone OS update ever!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I change my lock screen wallpaper any more?
DawnO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Followed the instructions found on an enthusiast site to completely clear the cache partition by booting the device into recovery mode. Once in recovery, I selected the "clear cache partition", or something worded like that, then rebooted the phone. Once it came back up, I was able to successfully change the lock screen wallpaper.

To boot into recovery mode on the Galaxy S4:

• Power off your device completely.
  • Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
  • Release the buttons when the phone’s screen flickers or the Stock / CWM / TWRP Recovery logo appears.
  • That is it, after you release buttons, you will be taken to the main Recovery Mode menu.
  • To reboot back to normal Galaxy S4 mode, you need to return to the first Recovery screen and select ‘reboot system’.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DawnO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Followed the instructions found on an enthusiast site to completely clear the cache partition by booting the device into recovery mode. Once in recovery, I selected the "clear cache partition", or something worded like that, then rebooted the phone. Once it came back up, I was able to successfully change the lock screen wallpaper.

To boot into recovery mode on the Galaxy S4:

• Power off your device completely.
  • Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
  • Release the buttons when the phone’s screen flickers or the Stock / CWM / TWRP Recovery logo appears.
  • That is it, after you release buttons, you will be taken to the main Recovery Mode menu.
  • To reboot back to normal Galaxy S4 mode, you need to return to the first Recovery screen and select ‘reboot system’.
0 Likes
mmandk9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Seriously! Yet another casualty/loss of functionality of the "upgrade". I use the "next set alarm flag" on the lock screen multiple times per day. I use alarms to make sure I get where I am supposed to be and used that to just take a quick peek and know what's next.

I thought "upgrade" meant more functionality, not the removal of more and more...

DawnO, thank you for the instructions on how to change the lock screen.

0 Likes