Re: Why are notifications disappearing
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You’ve been at this for quite some time, cdkarlsson, and we appreciate all you’ve done. Thank you for sharing your results with the community as well. With all that’s in this thread, I took to the settings menu myself to see what may be causing this. I found some useful information. Please follow these steps:

From the main screen that shows all your threads / texts, click the three bars in the top left.

Click on Settings.

Click on Notifications.

Scroll all the way down to the “Enable Popup” section.

If the “Mark As Read On Close” is selected, the notification will disappear. Please let us know what happens.

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes
cdkarlsson
Enthusiast - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support wrote:
In your earlier post, you mentioned you have Pushbullet installed on your PC. To gain clarity, do you also have this messaging app on your phone? If so, please ensure your notifications are turned off within your Pushbullet app, and any other messaging apps you have on your phone (including your Samsung messaging app). I understand you've used this app in the past. However, with Message+, multiple messaging apps on your device will cause your Message+ notifications to disappear. I've sent you a Private Message, and hope to hear from you soon to help resolve your notification issues once and for all. ChakiaH_VZW

@chakiah_vzw @vzw_customer_support
I had previously eliminated Pushbullet as a source of the issue, but just to be sure, I completely uninstalled it from my phone.  Even with Pushbullet removed from my phone, the original issue persists.

I decided to check out permissions on my phone: Settings → Apps → App permissions → SMS, and I noticed that I had "18 of 28 apps allowed" to use SMS permissions.  I disallowed Samsung Messages from my SMS permissions, and I thought the issue might have been fixed, as a test text notification remained on my screen for almost two hours! Unfortunately, the notification still disappeared without me reading the text.

At this point, I started doing all kinds of testing by disallowing different apps from the SMS permissions, unsuccessfully.  Eventually, I disallowed every single app other than Message+ from SMS permissions, but the original problem still persisted.  Granted, the notifications don't disappear as quickly now, but they still do disappear.

Side note: I eventually had to re-allow some apps permission to SMS, because I would get constant annoying notifications otherwise (e.g. Google Play Services), and I couldn't check voicemails (from the Verizon Voicemail app).

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

I found some useful information. Please follow these steps:

From the main screen that shows all your threads / texts, click the three bars in the top left.
Click on Settings.
Click on Notifications.
Scroll all the way down to the “Enable Popup” section.

If the “Mark As Read On Close” is selected, the notification will disappear. Please let us know what happens.

GeorgeS_VZW

@georges_vzw
When I went to Message+ → Settings → Notifications → Pop Up, "Enable Popup" wasn't even turned on, therefore "Mark As Read On Close" was greyed out and not selectable.

As a test, I enabled the popup (leaving "Mark As Read On Close" disabled) and sent a test text.  The popup itself is very intrusive, covering almost half of my screen!  I just sent the test text moments ago, so as for now the notification and pop are still visible.  I'm leaving the popup on my screen as part of the test and will report back later.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cdkarlsson, thank you for following the instructions we provided. I also am not a fan of the popup. Our top priority is to resolve the issues you are having. Please share the rest of your findings with us. 

JacobV_VZW

0 Likes
Akinit

This is still happening to people it seems? Still happening to me for over a year on my S8, I had just been resigned to living with it until I get a new phone. Well, I got a new S10, and it is STILL happening. Get it together. Fix the app, or remove it completely from your software package.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Akinit, we certainly understand the importance of being notified when a message is received. Do you have this trouble with the Message application on the phone?

Via the Message + application, there is a way to report a bug. Tap the menu key > settings > account > report a bug.

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
Curtiscustom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm also having this problem with a brand new Motor Z4. Extremely frustrated. Even more so now that I see Verizon has known about this for a couple years and hasn't fixed it. They should be able to.

bigfan99
Enthusiast - Level 1

My new Galaxy S10plus seems to have the same behavior with the Message+ app as the default Text Message application. I have Pop-up enabled, but when message is received I see a notification for perhaps 5 seconds and then it dispappears. Previously the notification would stick on the home screen until i dismissed it. 

To be honest, I did not read all 7 pages of this thread.

--Rob

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bigfan99, we totally understand and we're thankful for the feedback received in this post about the issue you're experiencing (e.g. text message notification on your device while using the Message + app only displaying on your device's screen for approximately five seconds and then the notification disappears) from my Verizon team members and our forum community members. Text messages received when using the Message + app only being displayed on your mobile device for approximately five seconds is definitely not the experience we want for you and we apologize for your inconvenience. I also use the Message + app and I'd be disappointed too if I were experiencing this issue. We've noted your reference to having enabled the "Pop-up" option with Message +. Let's dig deeper into this matter. Please check the Message + app version by accessing Settings and then scroll down to the bottom of the app to view its version. Please share that information with our team. In the meantime, please follow these steps from the Message + app:

Access: Settings → Notifications → Pop Up, →Enable Popup → Mark As Read On Close.

Once you've completed these steps please send a text message to someone you'd normally text with and ask for a reply to your text so you can view the notification. If the issue persists (e.g. the incoming text message disappearing after approximately five seconds), we recommend "Reporting a bug" by tapping the menu key > settings > account > report a bug." Please keep our team updated. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
cdkarlsson
Enthusiast - Level 3

After nearly TWO YEARS of this issue happening on a daily basis, without any real help from Verizon, I've finally found a solution: switch to Google's Messages app.

Now that it supports RCS (unlike Verizon's Message+), plus the fact that the notifications don't disappear (I've been testing the app for over a month, and not even a single notification has disappeared), there's no longer any reason to keep using Verizon Message+.

I hate to give up, but it's obvious from reading this thread that I put way more time and effort into solving this problem than Verizon did, with no evidence that their dev team was even made aware of this issue, despite it being consistent and reproducible, and despite it affecting numerous users on various devices from different manufacturers over multiple years.

bigfan99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unfornately there is no such Pop-up menu under the Message + app. 

I have set Pop-up under the Phone settings => Notifications => Message+  [Message+ v 6.9.11]

I am getting the sense (from the 7 pages of this thread) it may be time to move to a different App for SMS, as the previously posted suggested. It is a shame that the carrier of the cellular service is unable to get SMS right (a bit ironic, I am sure you would agree)

All the Best

0 Likes