Why am I being billed for roaming data?
kmkoning

So I am out and about in the world at the moment, and when I turned my Galaxy S4 off airplane mode and tried connecting to local wifi my phone would automatically turn on roaming and global. I never recieved any data and didn't even authorize the phone to go into that and I got about 7 text messages telling me i am being billed for roaming data (which i never even used or got to use) and it basically capped off at $500. I cannot live chat at the moment since its between 12AM and 530AM EST back in the states and there is no email available for me to use to communicate with verizon. I have no phone use available to call and the website isn't workstation friendly. My questions are: can someone (preferably a verizon employee) help me? Why does my phone continuous do this? And how can I be charged $500 for something I didn't even use even if i wanted to?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any answers for a military employee?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning kmkoning,

I want to start off by saying, Thank you for your services in the Military! I hope you have safe travels while you are out and about in this big world. One thing that I would suggest to you don't have any global data roaming is to go into your Settings, Select Connections(on the top of your phone), Tap on Data Usage, once you are in data usage you can Uncheck the box that says "Mobile Data" This will not allow the phone to connect to a cell network where you are traveling to. Once thing to keep in mind when you get back into the States you have to remember to go back in and place a Check back in that box or you won't have any data while you are here at home.

Let's go ahead and address the charges now. What countries are you traveling in? How long are you going to be outside the United States? We will be able to see if we can get a plan on there to avoid these huge charges.

As for your Military discount. When did you set your account up? Did you go into the store to get the phone? Can you please provide me with a Direct Message? This way we can go over your account specifics. I am now following you, just accept my request, request to follow me and I will accept, Once we are following each other you would be able to send me a Direct Message. I am providing you with a link for the step by step directions http://vz.to/1fbIKzK .  I hope to hear back from you soon.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kmkoning

ALSO: When originally setting up  the phone and plan purchase i was told i was getting a military discount, but I just now did that even though my military id was used to set up the acount. Will I be able to get the discount i thought i was getting credited back to me? And why do i keep getting offers for a protection plan when my plan shows i am enrolled already in the total protection plan?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning kmkoning,

I want to start off by saying, Thank you for your services in the Military! I hope you have safe travels while you are out and about in this big world. One thing that I would suggest to you don't have any global data roaming is to go into your Settings, Select Connections(on the top of your phone), Tap on Data Usage, once you are in data usage you can Uncheck the box that says "Mobile Data" This will not allow the phone to connect to a cell network where you are traveling to. Once thing to keep in mind when you get back into the States you have to remember to go back in and place a Check back in that box or you won't have any data while you are here at home.

Let's go ahead and address the charges now. What countries are you traveling in? How long are you going to be outside the United States? We will be able to see if we can get a plan on there to avoid these huge charges.

As for your Military discount. When did you set your account up? Did you go into the store to get the phone? Can you please provide me with a Direct Message? This way we can go over your account specifics. I am now following you, just accept my request, request to follow me and I will accept, Once we are following each other you would be able to send me a Direct Message. I am providing you with a link for the step by step directions http://vz.to/1fbIKzK .  I hope to hear back from you soon.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Follow button is on the upper right-hand side of their profile page, i.e., click here: 

0 Likes