Why Won't The "Swype" Type Input Work For Text Messaging?
TM255

"Swype" type input will not work for text messaging, but does work for other apps such as email and notes.  I have tried both the pre-installed version, and have downloaded the Google keyboard.  The only input that works for text messaging is tap typing.  What do I do to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: Why Won't The "Swype" Type Input Work For Text Messaging?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have the Swype  keyboard installed and chosen? (Not Google, and not Samsung).  Check what is set as the default under Settings > Language and Input and be sure it says Swype,

Swype Keyboard - Android Apps on Google Play

I have it and it works for all type input, including texting.

0 Likes
TM255

No, I used the term "Swype" to indicate "continuous input" ie not conventional tap typing.  I don't feel like I need all of the features of the actual Swype app, I just want to do "continuous input" typing.  There is a built in option on the S6, and the Google keyboard app provides this function.  When I enable either of those, I can do "continuous input" typing on notes, email, etc. but can only tap type on text messaging.

I changed from Verizon messaging app to Samsung messaging app to Google messaging app and only tap typing works with each one.

I am puzzled and frustrating as I primarily type for texting and would like to do the "continuous input."

Thank you for trying to help!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered Swift Key?  SwiftKey Keyboard - Android Apps on Google Play

If the Samsung or Google keyboards don't do the continuous input for texting, then you will need a third party app.  I love Swype, and bought it several years ago and used it on multiple devices over the years.  Swift Key is similar in function, and free.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In Settings > Language and Input:

For the Default Keyboard, have you chosen Samsung keyboard and then under Set Up Input Methods ensured that Swype is On?

Under Keyboard and Input Preferences, Samsung Keyboard, have you ensured that Keyboard Swipe is set to Continuous Input?

0 Likes
TM255

Yes that sounds good, but Google keyboard should work on the S6 with gesture typing ie continuous input.

0 Likes
TM255

Yes for the Samsung keyboard I had Swype set to ON, and also have Continuous Input enabled.

Works for notes, won't work for text message.  Odd, and frustrating.

Again, I appreciate the helpful suggestions!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

One more simple thing ... have you rebooted the phone since changing the settings?  I just switched my S6 to the Samsung keyboard with Swipe settings, and it didn't work until I had restarted the phone.

0 Likes
TM255

Good idea.  I reset everything, restarted, etc multiple times.  Now the continuous input won't work at all with anything.

Maybe my phone is defective

0 Likes
TM255

anthonym_vzw I tried the verizon messaging app, the samsung messaging app, and then downloaded and tried the Google messaging app.  Same results with all 3 ie continuous input (gesture typing) does not work.

0 Likes