Why Won't My Galaxy S7 SD Card Decrypt?
C_NUCK
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 128GB SD Card in my Galaxy S7, and I had selected the option on the phone to encrypt the SD card. Now it won't decrypt, and all the files, photos, and apps that I had moved to the SD card are now no longer available. I have gone into Developer Mode and selected "Stay Awake" and then selected 'decrypt' on the SD card and then it will clock "Checking SD Card" indefinitely. I started the decryption last night, got up 8 hours later and the screen still said "Checking SD Card."

Before you ask: Yes the card is mounted. No I haven't encrypted the SD card in another device. Yes other cards work in my device. Yes I've done a reboot.

Build No: MMB29M.G930VVRS4APH1

I need a solution ASAP. It's ridiculous that the phone can encrypt the drive, but can't decrypt it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S7 SD Card Won't Decrypt
C_NUCK
Enthusiast - Level 2

SOLVED. Found the solution on another forum. Did this and it worked:

- turn my lock screen security to none, keeping fingerprint data.

- I then went and started encrypting the sd card again. It failed as usual

- I restarted the phone, I went into settings, security, encrypt SD card, and selected "Decrypt"

- This time it ACTUALLY DECRYPTED IT!!!!

- Went to my gallery and all my photos are showing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
C_NUCK
Enthusiast - Level 2

SOLVED. Found the solution on another forum. Did this and it worked:

- turn my lock screen security to none, keeping fingerprint data.

- I then went and started encrypting the sd card again. It failed as usual

- I restarted the phone, I went into settings, security, encrypt SD card, and selected "Decrypt"

- This time it ACTUALLY DECRYPTED IT!!!!

- Went to my gallery and all my photos are showing.

0 Likes
stever_vzw
Verizon Employee

We are happy o hear that you are able to view your photos again, C^NUCK. We can certainly understand the need to have access to all your precious memories.

Is there anything else we can review or help with?

SteveR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes