Why Has My Weather App Stopped Working?
ntrdm72
Enthusiast - Level 3

My weather app stopped working on 1/29.  It will not work with a restart of the phone either.  A message pops up every few minutes letting me know it stopped working and I can't continue using the phone until I clear the message.  Is there an update that I haven't received yet or can I some how stop all the pop-up messages?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Built-in Weather app
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try this:

Settings > Applications > Application Manager > More (in the upper right-hand corner) > Show System Apps > scroll down to Weather and you should have two of them.  Tap the first one, then tap Storage, then tap Clear Data and Clear Cache.  Then tap the back button until you're back at the second weather app and repeat the steps, i.e., tap it, then tap Storage, then tap Clear Data and Clear Cache.

Then reboot the phone and try placing the widget back on the home screen.  Keep in mind that the widget will need to be set up again with your preferred city/settings by tapping it once it's on the home screen.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go into your app manager, and uninstall updates (or the app, if it will allow that).  Then reboot the phone, reinstall and see if it works any better.

0 Likes
ntrdm72
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, Suzy,

I incorrectly stated that it was an app.  It is actually the weather widget built into the phone when I bought the phone.

Cathryn [Removed]

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
ntrdm72
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's actually the weather widget.  Those I can't uninstall and is driving me nuts with this pop-up screen every five minutes.  Any new suggestions?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ensure that the weather app is updated.  Then try removing the widget from the home screen, rebooting the phone, then placing the widget back on the home screen.

0 Likes
ntrdm72
Enthusiast - Level 3

That did not seem to work.  I have Uninstaller my Weather Channel weather app from my phone. The widget has not been on my screen since it stopped working.  I shut off my phone today and then started it back up. It so will not work. I'm am not sure how to update a widget.  When I press and hold it does nothing but wait for  me to move it to my screen.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you uninstalled the Weather Channel app from your phone, then you shouldn't have an option in your widget list for that app.  The widget you have 'waiting for you to move it to your screen' is your pre-loaded (stock) weather widget (likely AccuWeather).  Which weather widget stopped working, the stock one or the Weather Channel one?  If the stock one, have you tried placing it back on your home screen to see if it now works?  If it was the Weather Channel widget with the issue, have you tried reinstalling the app and then placing the widget back on your home screen?

0 Likes
ntrdm72
Enthusiast - Level 3

The stock one isn't working. I have tried it just now and it wouldn't work.  It won't update, it won't open, just the darn pop-up that it isn't working.  If I could add a screen shot of it, I would. Thanks

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try this:

Settings > Applications > Application Manager > More (in the upper right-hand corner) > Show System Apps > scroll down to Weather and you should have two of them.  Tap the first one, then tap Storage, then tap Clear Data and Clear Cache.  Then tap the back button until you're back at the second weather app and repeat the steps, i.e., tap it, then tap Storage, then tap Clear Data and Clear Cache.

Then reboot the phone and try placing the widget back on the home screen.  Keep in mind that the widget will need to be set up again with your preferred city/settings by tapping it once it's on the home screen.

0 Likes
ntrdm72
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great news! That worked! Whew.  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.  I'll try to remember this in case it happens again.

Thank you!