Why Are Battery Saver Mode Options Missing in S5 Lollipop?
christmasb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lollipop is supposed to come with options to adjust battery use that are accessed through Settings>Battery.

Please see: How to set up battery saver mode on Android 5.0 Lollipop | Greenbot

This functionality is missing in the latest S5 Lollipop update. It is possible to go to Settings>Battery, but the menu to adjust battery use on that screen is missing. 

I was previously using the Qualcomm Batteryguru app, which worked great in the prior version, but is not designed for this version.

Is this a bug that will be fixed?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Are Battery Saver Mode Options Missing in S5 Lollipop?
Cybergoobr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure what battery saver options you would like exactly. But if you look in your "settings" menu, you'll see "Power Saving".  This menu may have some features your looking for. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cybergoobr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure what battery saver options you would like exactly. But if you look in your "settings" menu, you'll see "Power Saving".  This menu may have some features your looking for. 

0 Likes
christmasb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. The Power Saving options that are available are the ones that existed previously. You toggle them on or toggle them off manually, which requires you to be watching your battery state all the time (or to leave them on with the limitations on performance). As you'll note in the link above, "Battery saver has one more trick it can pull off—it can kick in automatically when your battery gets low. To use this feature, go back to the battery saver screen in the Settings app, tap Turn on automatically, and then tap either at 5% battery or at 15% battery. Battery saver will now kick in whenever you reach the low-battery threshold of your choice." This is not a lot better than presently, but potentially avoids your battery draining to nothing. The BatteryGuru app, as I recall, had much more flexible benchmarks in it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

christmasb wrote:

Thanks. The Power Saving options that are available are the ones that existed previously. You toggle them on or toggle them off manually, which requires you to be watching your battery state all the time (or to leave them on with the limitations on performance). As you'll note in the link above, "Battery saver has one more trick it can pull off—it can kick in automatically when your battery gets low. To use this feature, go back to the battery saver screen in the Settings app, tap Turn on automatically, and then tap either at 5% battery or at 15% battery. Battery saver will now kick in whenever you reach the low-battery threshold of your choice." This is not a lot better than presently, but potentially avoids your battery draining to nothing. The BatteryGuru app, as I recall, had much more flexible benchmarks in it.

That's why it isn't there... Samsung is using their own power saving mode over the one provided by stock.

christmasb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you surmise this or do you know this? The Samsung options are OK, but as I note they only work if you turn them on manually. What's needed is an automated, gradual shut-down of various power consuming tasks so that you can at least maintain the ability to use the phone or a warning about low battery.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Samsung would user their own. Even HTC users their own for 5.0. Why have two separate options in settings for the same thing? One will work better with your custom code and the other will not which do you choose?

christmasb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on the limited amount I know, I'd prefer the stock Lollipop option for the simple reason that it can be set to be automatic.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then why did you purchase a Samsung phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
christmasb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Um. What? Because I think one feature should be different/better I should not have purchased the phone a year ago?

0 Likes