Who is downloading the update to my phone
ltolman1
Contributor - Level 1

Galaxy s5 and Verizon has received an update; a small update. Its supposed to fix the SD card issue and VPN. However when I received that notification I opted out of it; yet somehow throughout the day it downloaded the update anyways. Connecting to wifi may have had a part in it not sure.

So I was stuck. I got the prompt "Are you ready to install" and I said 'install later' there wasn't any other option.

I went into Recovery Boot mode and cleared the cache (wipe cache partition) I did not do a factory reset. I believe I ran that 'wipe partition' 5 times and rebooted phone. Well I still got the message. So being fed up I said 'install now'

Phone rebooted attempted install but failed.  Phone came back online and it said "no changes were made". HA woot! I was right; I knew clearing the partition cache would avoid installation of a new update; funny how the 24/7 Tech Coach didn't know

But heres the thing. Going into System Update it shows "Update Failed"........later the next day I receive same message. This time I took snapshots of my notification. I opted to 'Never' and got another message saying 'Okay we will not update your phone, when you're ready do the following'.

Later that night I got a message "Your update is ready to install" I was like WTH! I went back into Cache Partition and wiped it clean. I may have briefly connected to Wifi on accident for a short duration but at no point did I see a 'downloading update' in the task bar.

So when I'm telling my phone "Do not update/download to my device" Who is doing my download? Verizon? Samsung? Google's Operating System? Who! Because I that is bogus that I  now have 100% proof, screenshot on my phone that I told the system 'Do not update' and it told me 'We wont update' and yet I keep getting messages 'ready to install update"

And no, why would I be asking/complaining about who did the update if I accidentally clicked it. I didn't. When I got the notification (Screenshots to prove) saying it will not download the update I sure as heck left that option/button alone! Smiley Happy

Regardless of the fact I am on unlimited data; this download of data is being wasted/used/eaten

PS. I refuse to install the update (for now)

0 Likes
Re: Who is downloading the update to my phone
bearone21
Legend

you only get to delay it for so long & then it happens & it's been that way for a long time.

to me, you wasted a lot of time with all you did but then it's your time.....7 paragraphs????

even if downloaded thru verizon, the dl isn't charged againt data allowance.

0 Likes