Where is January 2018 Android Security Patch for Galaxy S8/S8+?
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

Yesterday, VZW released the January 2018 Android Security Patch for the Galaxy S6 (two generations old!):

Software Version: NRD90M.G920VVRS4DRA1

Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-01-01, including Meltdown and Spectre security patches

Where is the equivalent patch revision for the Galaxy S8/S8+, which are both still at December 2017?

Software Version: NRD90M.G955USQS2BQL1

Android® Security Patch Level: 2017-12-01

This is a critical patch!

0 Likes
Re: Where is January 2018 Android Security Patch for Galaxy S8/S8+?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Likely still being worked on by a separate team at Samsung and waiting for technical approval from all the partner companies involved.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TheS1R, I definitely understand your readiness when it comes to getting the latest software updates and security patches. I have the same device and I haven't updated mine yet. Here's more information on what it entails and how to use the Software Upgrade Assistant to push the security patch > https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s8-update/  Please let us know if this helps.

MarcusS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
wlm9700
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just spoke to a Samsung Support Representative and they said the January 2018 Security Update wasn't released for our S8 because Verizon is currently testing the Android 8 Oreo update and it will be out in 2-3 weeks with January and February security updates included in the update so it's not that they don't care it's that they want to be faster at releasing the Oreo update to us.

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

I appreciate that Samsung and VZW are attempting to accelerate the release of Oreo for the S8/S8+, but that should not come at the expense of security for the current firmware baseline, especially now that the vulnerabilities have been publicly exposed!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you want them to delay Oreo instead of incorporating the security updates into Oreo?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

wlm9700
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think waiting 2-3 weeks for Oreo won't really hurt the security of our phones, these hacks have been around for years and just now got discovered and haven't hurt us yet so a little bit longer of a wait won't hurt.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

Any delays to security updates once exploits have been publicized are not a good idea, for whatever reason. Oreo integration should be addressed in parallel to integrating monthly Android security patches to the current OS.

TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

So now that Oreo has been pulled back by SAMSUNG, how long do we need to wait for security patches?!?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

TheS1R wrote:

So now that Oreo has been pulled back by SAMSUNG, how long do we need to wait for security patches?!?

uhm what? I am guessing you are talking about the beta was finished and slowly starting to roll out full versions all around the world now.  Nothing was pulled back.

0 Likes