Re: When will the Samsung Galaxy SIII get the kitkat 4.4 update?
krusej23
Contributor - Level 1

We will be getting the update. The S4 just started getting the update last week and it sounds like the Note 2 is getting it internationally right now. That is a good sign. We are always right behind the Note 2 on updates. I would guess we get it on Verizon in Late May or early June.

0 Likes
ME_Elocin
Enthusiast - Level 3

It looks like I'm getting it right now.  I connected my SIII to my laptop and it immediately said check for device software update.  I clicked continue and now it has been downloading "New Software available for Galaxy S(R) III (SCH-I535)"

Praying that this will not cause problems to the magnitude 4.3 did.

0 Likes
Frce81

SAME HERE! DOWNLOADING AS I TYPE!

0 Likes
Frce81

TAKE THAT BACK! IT WAS JUST SOME ROAMING UPDATE THAT PUT OUT! UGH!

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

The new update that just came out is simply  to allow roaming on the Canadian Telus network. Latest I read is that Sprint might be rolling out the 4.4 this week or next. Still up in the air when and if AT & T is getting it, most likely we will be, but Verizon is usually the last carrier to get the updates.

0 Likes
MySIII
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
krusej23
Contributor - Level 1

Looks like Sprint is sending out the 4.4.2 update today. Verizon should be about a month away with how they do updates. Sprint starts rolling out Android 4.4 KitKat for Samsung Galaxy S3 | Android Central

0 Likes
YetAnotherAccount

Any chance a Verizon rep could respond?  I looked on the Verizon support website, and found in the index of updates that the Samsung Galaxy S3 was getting an update on 4/30/14. On opening the update details page, the page was annotated that it was last updated in December of 2013.  Not giving me a warm fuzzy.  The content of the update on the details page was the Canadian connection update.  No word on the Android 4.3 update or the Android 4.4.2 update.

After trashing out one of my phones with the 4.3 update, I've been deferring the OTA update EVERY DAY since January on both of my Galaxy S3's, to keep them at 4.1.2 (one phone was replaced to get back to the older, working version).  I've been waiting on a working update for several months.

It sure would be nice if someone from Verizon would address this on the Verizon Wireless Community discussion group.  The question has been open for over two weeks, and there's reason in the press to wonder about Verizon's timing.

0 Likes
YetAnotherAccount

Anyone, Anyone, Buehler, Buehler?

Over a month since the question was asked, over a week since I asked Verizon to respond.  No useful information on KitKat update.  Meanwhile, I continue to defer the 4.3 update every day.  I am not satisfied with the level of service Verizon is providing in supporting my devices.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The KitKat update for the Galaxy S3 isn't available yet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes