When will the Samsung Galaxy SIII get the kitkat 4.4 update?
JTDRNL8309
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was just wondering when the Samsung Galaxy S3 will receive the android 4.4 kitkat update.  Samsung has said it was going to update the S3 to kitkat, but did not specify a time frame.  I was wondering if anyone had a time frame.

Re: When will the Samsung Galaxy SIII get the kitkat 4.4 update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They will likely finish the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 updates first before Samsung starts on the Galaxy S3 and Note 2.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Mikeg814
Contributor - Level 1

You'll be waiting a long time. We Samsung Galaxy Note 3 / S4 users are still waiting for KitKat 4.4.2. I'm guessing that hell would freeze over before we get these updates or at least Android 4.5 or 5.0 would be released before we get KitKat.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

in may

0 Likes
lk149
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you have proof of this? Can you provide links if you do?

MySIII
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
Volleybill54
Enthusiast - Level 1

Watching this pretty closely-  I want to update my phone, my 2-years are up in a couple months.  How verizon handles the software updates for the Galaxy 3 will have an influence on what phone I choose next.  Pretty annoying to wait for months after the manufacturer releases updates for Verizon to finally send them on to the users.  The last update, 4.3 seemed pretty buggy, you would think that Big Red would speed up getting the newest software out.

0 Likes
Mikeg814
Contributor - Level 1

This site says different http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/04/18/samsung-galaxy-s3-android-4-4-kitkat-update-roundup/ . Since there are so many different opinions on tech sites, they aren't very useful for confirmation. The news of whether or not the S3 gets KitKat would have to come directly from Samsung. As far as I know, the KitKat update for the Galaxy SIII is still up in the air. If the S3 does get KitKat, you'll be waiting months longer after initial release here on Verizon, just as I have with the Samsung Note 3 which is still on 4.3 JellyBean.

0 Likes
JTDRNL8309
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well the s4 is getting their update as we speak.  And according to samsungs open source center, sprints galaxy s3 4.4.2 kitkat build has been posted, so i would assume that our s3 is getting the update as well.  The problems that samsung is having with the s3's are the international versions that have 1gb ramand a different processor.  Sprint even confirmed thatbthe are updating the s3 to kitkat and samsung has said the the united states s3's will be updated.

0 Likes
JoeKiv
Contributor - Level 1

Samsung "Officially Announced" in February that the S3 on ALL US Carriers would get updated to KitKat.  I will go with an official announcement over a link to an unofficial 'guess' every time.

0 Likes