When will S5 users get the 6.0 Marshmallow update?
MaxSmart
Enthusiast - Level 2

When can we expect the OTA update to Marshmallow (Android 6.0) on our Samsung Galaxy S5 phones? 

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When will S5 users get the 6.0 Marshmallow update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Only the Samsung team working on the update has any idea of when they might be finished and they along with every other Samsung employee are not talking. Verizon Wireless reps won't know any sooner then us customers.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Only the Samsung team working on the update has any idea of when they might be finished and they along with every other Samsung employee are not talking. Verizon Wireless reps won't know any sooner then us customers.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MaxSmart We know how much our customers anticipate new software updates.At this time, we do not have any new information regarding the Marshmallow update for Samsung devices. As updates roll out you will be notified by a prompt on your device to install the update. We apologize for any inconvenience. How is the Samsung S5 working, overall?

SheritaH_VZW
FoSheritaHoVZWwitter @VZWSupport
If mVZWSupport answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button Answer�y response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MaxSmart
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a great phone, but the best feature - the battery lasting 2+ days on a charge - has diminished to <1 day, even after I replaced the battery.  I have read that this was due to problems with Android 5.0, and that 5.1 or 6.0 should make it better again.  Some of my other favorite features got removed by a past update, too - such as the silent-mode-timer, which was great for telling the phone to stay silent through the duration of a movie, but automatically turn the ringer back on afterwards.  I believe this was also restored in later versions. 

The ruggedness is great, people's eyes bug out when they see me rinsing it off in the sink! 

MaxSmart
Enthusiast - Level 2

My only complaint is the layers of bloatware - Google wants to run our lives, but so does Samsung, and Verizon.  The partnership with Amazon adds a 4th company trying to duplicate every app/feature.  It gets confusing having multiple versions of every app/feature, until you disable the ones you don't want to use.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps consider a Nexus phone to reduce the amount of "bloatware" on the phone when you are looking to purchase a new phone.

0 Likes
MaxSmart
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the original Nexus, but we all know how that went on Verizon.  I love the Samsung hardware, too - especially the water-proof bit.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OTA updates are handled very differently on the Nexus 6, 5x and 6p compared to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone.

0 Likes
rdhqcpro
Enthusiast - Level 3

I could write a novel here if I only had the time.

Yes, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is a capable and rugged phone when it is configured as Samsung intended it to be.  Unfortunately, Verizon does not consider it to be the slightest priority any longer for keeping it up to date with Lollipop let alone Marshmallow updates.

Check your settings "About Phone".  You will find it to show your Android version to be 5.0.  This was the first and by far the worst iteration of Lollipop which is highly regarded to be FULL of bugs.  Samsung has sent Verizon multiple Lollipop updates straight through version 5.1.1 but Verizon has decided that we and our phones are not worth the effort to maintain. 

They have, however, started pushing critical security updates to our phones on a monthly basis but the end result is a phone which is still on a widely known Bug-Laden version of Android.  There are so many fixes in later versions of Lollipop which we SHOULD have be don't due to Verizon's choice to ignore us since we do not have the latest and greatest phone in the quiver.

MARSHMALLOW?  MAYBE they are concentrating their efforts and instead of taking time on approving and adding their fluff to Lollipop updates are now working on tailoring a version of Marshmallow for us but DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!  In fact a Samsung rep at a local Verizon store told me NOT to allow Marshmallow to install on my S5 (That's if it is offered) because it is more demanding on hardware resources and would result in performance degradation.

I for one am biding my time and when my phone is paid of I'm upgrading to either an IPhone or Nexus as Verizon does NOT hinder the update processes on those devices.  I will NEVER purchase another Samsung device and have to live out the rest of the life of said device with another buggy operating system which the carrier refuses to update.

bearone21
Legend

samsung-marshmallow-roadmap-w782.png