What exactly does my Block Unknown Callers setting do?
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Galaxy S6+ with Verizon plan has a setting in the phone app called Block Unknown Callers, but I can't find out exactly what that does.  The Phone app help doesn't define it, and a search on the Verizon forums just gets information about blocking apps you can buy or special Verizon blocking plans you can buy.  But I'm not interested in any of that; I just want to know what the Block Unknown Callers setting on the phone I have does.  What are "unknown callers?" Does that mean callers that aren't in my Contacts list, or some other list of callers I have to create, or something else? And if I turn this setting on, what happens when an unknown caller calls?  Does the call show up at all on my phone? Does the caller just hear an endless ringing, or does the caller get a message that their call is blocked? Does the blocked call go right to voice mail? If it does, does it go to voice mail with a message that the call is going to voice mail because the call is blocked?

I emphasize that I'm not interested in information about blocking apps or about Verizon Family or other blocking features.  I just want to know exactly what the Block Unknown Callers I currently have on my phone does so I can decide if I want to turn it on.

Re: What exactly does my Block Unknown Callers setting do?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for any confusion regarding the block unknown callers feature on your phone, I can answer this question for you Telemachus. My resources indicate that if you turn this feature on, any calls without a caller ID to display on your phone will be blocked.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for replying, but it still doesn't completely answer my question.  What does "blocked" mean? Does it mean:

• The blocked caller will just hear a continual ring tone which is never answered?
  • The blocked caller will get a message from my phone saying that number is blocked?
  • The  blocked caller's call will go immediately to my voice mail?
  • Something else?

Also, if a caller doesn't "have caller id" in the sense that their own phone doesn't display its number to called numbers, but nevertheless that number is in my phone's contacts list, will "block unknown callers" block that number or not?

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unknown and calls from numbers added to the phone's Block List are sent straight to voicemail. Think of the feature as Do Not Disturb.

Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, this is what I needed to know.

0 Likes
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

I still don't have an answer to an important part of my question: What are "unknown callers?" Does that mean callers that aren't in my Contacts list, or some other list of callers I have to create, or something else?  In particular, if I set Block Unknown Callers, will callers in my Contacts list never be blocked? Can anyone please help?

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Telemachus wrote:

I still don't have an answer to an important part of my question: What are "unknown callers?" Does that mean callers that aren't in my Contacts list, or some other list of callers I have to create, or something else?

Something else ... calls where the numbers are unknown/masked/restricted.  Some of the calls may be legitimate and the caller may have a valid reason to mask (or mark as restricted) their phone number, but it's also used by spammers.

0 Likes
Telemachus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, I think I understand now.

0 Likes
Block_POed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Blocking should mean blocking ALL robocalls, especially if not in a caller's contact list.

To not block is an UNFAIR and DECEPTIVE Practice by Verizon.  Will be filing this as complaint with the FTC.gov due to Verizon's lack of controls over blocking unwanted calls, allowing them to continue through to voicemail unchecked.  Especially the fudging CHINESE voice messages.

Despite the so called blocking, the filtering still allows to voice message which is a means of validation to the caller that the phone number is valid.  Combined with name, address that can be bought online, the robo-caller now has aggregated data in which to commit fraud, identity theft, spamming, spoofing and any other illegal, privacy violation and criminal activity.

VERIZON FIX YOUR FILTERS AND APPS!@#e

KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current.

If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes