What did the last two updates do to my phone?
juleskywalker
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure what happened to my first post here a while back, but my problems continue.  When I updated my S3 to 4.3 back in December, my perfectly fine (then) 13 month old phone started having all kinds of problems.  I hoped the 4.4 update would fix them, as most were common problems.  Since updating to 4.3 and 4.4, my phone :

• randomly shuts down (more so under 4.4)
  • sometimes gets in a boot loop (new to 4.4)
  • sometimes tells me the memory is corrupt during a boot loop (new to 4.4)
  • sometimes gets a camera failed message that requires me to restart to phone to fix (4.3 and 4.4)
  • always has the battery drain 2x faster than before the 4.3 update (I used to just have to recharge at night before 4.3.  After 4.3 it often required a midday charge.  4.4 made it worse, so now I definitely need a midday charge).
  • On rare occasion, my power button does not turn off my screen, though holding it down still gives me the power menu (new to 4.4)
  • Trouble maintaining 4G signal in some places.  I constantly switch on and off 4G in my office, which used to get 4G fine (4.4 only)
  • There were other issues with 4.3 that I think haven't shown up recently.

What did you do to my phone, Verizon?  The changes were distinct to the software updates, particularly the boot loop, which happened first on the software update).

Re: What did the last two updates do to my phone?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

juleskywalker wrote:

I'm not sure what happened to my first post here a while back

You mean this one?

Each update is worse than the last!!!

juleskywalker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, that's it.  Couldn't find it a while back.

The problems seem to come in waves.  I can go a few days without any serious issues (restarts, boot loops), then, today for example, I have had 5 random shut downs, with one of them looping through boot twice.

juleskywalker
Enthusiast - Level 2

What does it take for Verizon Customer Service to respond to problems?

0 Likes
Not applicable

First, Verizon did nothing to your device.

Google made the kitty Kat OS code, Samsung approved it, then it went to the carriers to send over the air.

Your issue is not with Verizon.

Makes your complaint more credible if you know just who is at fault.

Verizon can do nothing until Google & Samsung get the code.

Good Luck

0 Likes
chicknbees
Enthusiast - Level 2

Issue is with Verizon if they approved the upgrade.  They need to be sure that the testing was done before they approve the roll out from Samsung.  Samsung should have tested more thoroughly when Google gave them the upgrade.  Google obviously did not do enough testing before sending this on to the public.  No offense to those IT people out there who work really hard to be sure that the job is complete and ready for roll out.... But shame on those who have not done what they could have... just let us users sit here with a piece of crap software that needs some attention given to it.

juleskywalker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to chicknbees for answering that part.

As for the comment about a credible complaint; I don't particularly care who is at fault.  As you pointed out, there are multiple entities who could have introduced a fault, including Verizon, since they don't release the same software as other vendors (Google Wallet/Isis).

It comes down to this: Verizon is responsible for their customer experience, and if they sold a product that they approved faulty software for, they should be trying to remedy the situation.  I accepted an OTA from them, that immediately affected my phone, and have yet to hear from them about how to fix it.  I know that not every bug can be found before a release, but I expect to work with the company I entered into a contract with to help to resolve issues, even if they aren't directly at fault.

Not applicable

Let's look at from another perspective. You are buying a product from Verizon Wireless that Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart and Target and other retailers sell. So in your way of thinking Verizon as the retailer is responsible for your customer experience? However as a retailer as the others I mentioned you have a set time frame to try out the device and if faulty it gets returned to them for refund or replacement.

Best Buy and Walmart etc. Are not going to assist you after 15 days. But Verizon as a courtesy to their customers handles the warranty on the devices for one year. They are under no obligation to do so. None of the other retailers will do it and the device makers warranty clearly states you the customer is responsible to send back to them for warranty service.

When you purchased the device it functioned did it not? Then your device maker with Google's OS updates now made the phone not function, it was not Verizon who did the code they just requested assorted phone apps to be placed on it, as all providers do. And the issues are at all providers. So it is not any carrier issue

Verizon sells you a service to the cellular and data network. That is it. Nothing more. You the customer must have a functioning device to access that network. Since Verizon did no code updates the issues are squarely on the device makers and Google Inc.

Apple does all their own iOS updates yet Verizon gets numerous complaints about data usage, cannot send I messages, cannot get WiFi to operate properly, sound is muted, phone goes to voicemail.

This is not any issue with Verizon wireless, anyone who thinks carefully would know its a bad update.

Chicken bees statement is also not credible, even as a reply. Verizon approves the updates because of the phone makers assurance that it meets minimal operating parameters. It makes calls, it accesses cellular data network.

That is what you pay Verizon for. Access to the cellular and data network, which at a mimium it does.

Bluetooth not connecting or WiFi dropping is a device maker issue. They did not put either standard on the devices. Place the blame where it belongs.

Not on the carriers!

Good Luck

0 Likes
chicknbees
Enthusiast - Level 2

And considering I bought my device from Verizon, they should consider what they allow to be uploaded through the service they provide.  Again, what is the service that they provide?  It is access to a network that has "minor" glitches and untested programs.  I should what then; consider another carrier who has some authority to get these "minor" glitches fixed?   All access carriers for our cellular service should be putting in requests for these "minor" glitches to be remedied.  As you say "Verizon approves these updates".  They should be sure they work properly before the approval and roll out.  Verizon is a decent company who usually listens to complaints as they don't want to lose customers.  This is why we post on the forums...They are watching and they are listening so all of our responses are credible and worth a moment.   Samsung Galaxy S III and Samsung Galaxy S III Mini

0 Likes
Not applicable

You are still missing. Makes no difference if you bought it at Verizon or Joe schmoes cell shop across the street.

The service they provide is ACCESS to the cellular and data network with a working device.

Because it is now broke, does not make Verizon responsible to fix it. Their network is functioning. It is your device made by another, updated by another, that is totally responsible for the device malfunction.

Verizon makes no devices, they only make money.

Again the issues are solely on the makers of the devices.

Good Luck

0 Likes