Re: Voicemail pauses when I put phone up to my ear
BREOSB27

Hi...I wanted to add a couple more observations after reading the 180+ posts and Verizon's laughable responses. I commend those of you who worked diligently over those months to try and find a solution. My thoughts--the Verizon reps were convinced that since the Voice Mail problem did not occur when the phone was in safe mode, then it must be a 3rd party app...most of you targeted Samsung Pay as a possible issue and a few of you uninstalled Samsung Pay with short term success--however, once re-booted, the issue returned. Others found short term success with wiping the cache partition...all worked initially before not working--who's to say that running the phone in safe mode was just another short term thing that worked but not because it was in safe mode...

Nevertheless, as I mentioned in my previous post, I have a Note 4...I do not have Samsung Pay on my phone. I have tried everything including uninstalling my visual voice mail and reinstalling it...did not fix.

I can tell you that visual voice mail worked fine for the first 1.5 years so I strongly believe that a recent Verizon update, most likely August's update, messed up the visual voice mail. Does anyone know if there was a more recent update? My last Verizon update was N910VVRU2CQF2. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this aggrevating issue.

0 Likes
BREOSB27

Hi. Can you folks at Verizon read my most recent 2 posts (post 189 and 190) and please comment. Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all your time and effort researching and troubleshooting your voice mail concern on your Note 4, BREOSB27. We do work closely with Samsung as well as Google to ensure those Android OS updates provide you with the absolute best experience, but we also make sure to let them know about quirky behavior as it is reported. Many of the previously reported devices have received updates to applications or to the OS itself that resolved the playback pausing when the proximity sensor is triggered. Since you mentioned your trouble began with the installation of a recent update, I’d like to ask you to use the Software Upgrade Assistant tool in the next steps section of https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-note-4-update to repair the software on your phone. Once that’s complete, please restart your phone and test out your voice mail again. At that point, does it work when you have it on speakerphone or Bluetooth? Does it work while in or out of Safe Mode https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122810/ ?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SHEDEE123

Hi, according to Verizon's website, my software should have been updated a couple of days ago. I just rechecked my phone and it said that I was updated. I checked one of my voicemails and that seemed to have solved the problem. Thank you for your help!

Sheila [removed]

[removed]

Personal Information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
BREOSB27

Hi. Thank you for getting back to me regarding my issue. I ran Software

Assistant Tool as you instructed and it said my software was up to date.

The problem was not fixed. I did not opt for a factory reset at this time.

When I put the phone on Speakerphone and hold it up to my ear or cover the

proximity sensor, it does not pause or stop. I don't know about Bluetooth

because I don't use it.

It worked fine in Safe Mode. When I rebooted out of Safe Mode and used it,

it initially worked okay for about 15 seconds and then paused--normally it

pauses almost immediately.

Had

On Aug 30, 2017 6:34 AM, "vzw_customer_support" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
jenniferh_vzw
Verizon Employee
I appreciate you giving that a shot, BREOSB27. With the confirmation that it works with Safe Mode activated, that does tell me that it is tied to the way your phone is working while a 3rd party application is running. While it may not be an application directly, such as Samsung Pay that was previously mentioned, the application may be interfering with a function that was included in a recent update. Safe mode stops those 3rd party applications from running in the background. I understand your hesitation doing a reset, too. Just to clarify, did you run the repair steps at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-update-upgrade-assistant/ in addition to connecting it to the computer to check for the update or was that the point you stopped at due to the notification of backing up your phone before continuing? I’d also like to ask you to go into your phone’s Play Store > Menu > Apps & games > My apps & games and make sure all the applications in the phone have been updated.

JenniferH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BREOSB27

Hi. Yes...to clarify, I did run the entire Software Assistant program while

it was connected to my computer following all the instructions for the

Software Assistant that I followed on my device Once the program was

complete, a message popped up and said that I had the latest software with

no issues and gave me an option of a factory reset...at this point, I chose

not to factory reset because the aggrevation of doing a reset outweighs the

aggrevation that I am experiencing with this issue.

I have updated all my apps that I have on Google Play as well.

You mentioned the issue was resolved for others with an update? To clarify,

was it the same update that I received in August? And if you believe it was

another application because the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode, how did

an update fix it? If I identify the application, is my only option to

delete the app? Again, I may be better served just turning on speakerphone

to listen to my visual voice mail.

On Aug 31, 2017 12:16 PM, "jenniferh_vzw" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
EDWGOF62

Well, I am having the same problem as everyone else with my Galaxy S6 Edge.  Seems to have started with a systems update a few weeks ago, but not entirely sure.  I do not have Samsung Pay on my phone, although I do have Android Pay.  I noticed this problem  a few days ago.  Of course, it works on speaker phone, so that is the way I have been using it.   I have been reading through this thread, and I am appalled at the lack of concern Verizon shows.

Today, I got a notice saying a systems update was available, and I just installed it.  It did not fix the problem. Verizon's response to this problem - which is obviously due to their software seems to be to try to blame somebody else's app.  Come on - suck it up and fix the problem.

0 Likes
BREOSB27

Hi. Thanks for posting your thoughts. It's frustrating since Visual Voice Mail is a feature that shouldn't require using Speakerphone or dialing *86. After reading all the posts, one thing rings clear. This has been and has always been a Verizon issue. Unless I am wrong, other carriers have not experienced this problem.

And in reading all the posts, the frustration and sometimes even anger is apparent. And I don't blame any of the individuals who posted for being upset. Really, they did almost all of the troubleshooting. C'mon Verizon, I read every post on this issue. How many times do you ask your customers the same question? As someone in the teaching business, I would love to use this thread as a case study for my students.

Your customers on this thread did all the work to identify Samsung Pay as the initial culprit...maybe you should hire those guys instead of the people you have not doing their jobs.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

EDWGOF62, your wireless experience is very important to us. We regret that you've been having problems with your voicemail and feel that we're not concerned. Although this forum is designed primarily for community interactions, we strive to help with unresolved issues. When a new software is provided by a phone's manufacturer, it sometimes has conflicts with existing apps that affect other elements of the phone. To pinpoint what the issue is and what is causing it, we need to work through troubleshooting and discovery. How is everything else working on your phone since Samsung's Software update? Other than installing that latest system update, what other troubleshooting have you done?

JoelR_VZW

0 Likes