Unlimited Data Upgrade
Necrodox

What's up guys, I'm sure these questions are rampant but I couldn't find anything online regarding this. I'm curious to know if someone can take another person's upgrade and apply it to their unlimited data.

Here is a scenario, we have two people. Person A and Person B.

Person A has an eligible upgrade, currently Person A has a basic phone with a basic data plan. Person A upgrades his phone to the Samsung Galaxy S4. For whatever reason Person A decides he wants to switch back to his old phone because of whatever reason.

Person B has an upgrade eligible but also has an unlimited data plan on his current smartphone. Person A owes person B a favor and gives Person B his Samsung Galaxy S4. Person B adds his unlimited data line to the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Person A reverts back to his old phone.

Is such a scenario possible? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Unlimited Data Upgrade
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Necrodox wrote:

Is such a scenario possible?

yes

0 Likes
savethenerds

There is also another way to upgrade.  You can't go through Verizon itself at all, but you must go through a third party online (like Best Buy) and then activate it online.  I can confirm that it actually works.

here's the details...

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you sign a new two-year contract to get a subsidized phone (regardless of where the phone is purchased from), you will lose your unlimited data and be switched to a tiered data plan.  To keep unlimited data (at least for now), you must pay full retail price for the phone or get it from somewhere that doesn't require signing a two-year contract (ebay, upgrade another line and switch phones, have someone give you a phone, etc.).

0 Likes
Necrodox

Thanks for the link savethenerds, I appreciate it. I'll certainly check that out.

Tikibar1, if someone ELSE were to upgrade their phone to the Galaxy and switch back they would not be able to give away their phone to a relative and have that relative use it? Take note these are separate lines.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Necrodox wrote:

Tikibar1, if someone ELSE were to upgrade their phone to the Galaxy and switch back they would not be able to give away their phone to a relative and have that relative use it? Take note these are separate lines.

As noted in the first reply, yes, they could do that.  They would just need to keep in mind that now they are not eligible for another upgrade for 24 months since they would now be under a new two-year contract.  And I believe the phone's warranty would no longer be valid since it's activate on a line other than the one it was purchased for.

0 Likes
Necrodox

Understood. Thanks for the info.

One other concern though, since the S4 is a smartphone it requires a data plan but the phone Person A had previously was a "dumb" phone. It didn't need a data plan and it was optional, under the new contract would he continue paying a 30 dollar fee for data or will that be nullified since he switch the phone back to his older one?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Once they switch back to a basic phone, the data plan should drop off.  But I'd check via MyVerizon to ensure that it is, indeed, removed.

0 Likes
Necrodox

I apologize for the constant barrage of questions but after the S4 is deactivated and given to me how can I go about deactivating my current iPhone and activating the S4 on my line.

0 Likes
BakerGeckos
Contributor - Level 3

You can take it into a store and get it activated and not lose the Unlimited data. Or better yet if the SIM card's for the Iphone is the MINI (small) SIM can just take it out and put it in the Galaxy S4 and it will work without verizon's help. Otherwise you need to go in for a new SIM card and they don't take UNLIMITED data away to activate a phone that you have in your hands that you get from some other source I should know I get phones on EBAY and other sources all the time...

0 Likes