Unidentified warning sound randomly happens
barneytoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Galaxy S6 Edge running latest Nougat. My phone is possessed. Randomly, I'll hear an alert sound (similar to a warning horn) that goes off a few times. There is no indication from status bar that any particular app is responsible.

This happens EVEN when my ringer is set to vibrate only.

I have Emergency Alerts app disabled. Weather alerts are also disabled from my AccuWeather app. I don't receive Amber alerts.

I use Textra app and don't see any additional alert settings that could be responsible.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Unidentified warning sound randomly happens
stef7
Master - Level 2

If I were in your shoes, I would enable the things you disabled, and see if you get a corresponding alert so you might determine if an app where you disabled notifications is culprit.

You might also consider booting into SAFE mode, and see if you receive any of these notifications.

Otherwise, do you have a Settings | Sounds and Notifications default setting?

If you recently updated your Android OS, your issue might be associated with that. Sometimes over the air updates affect different people's phones differently. You could Google Clearing your System Cache, or performing a Factory Data Reset. Before doing a FDR, make sure you backup all your content you wish to be safe onto your computer and verify it got there.

Good luck.

0 Likes
barneytoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes settings -> sound & notifications is set to something that isn't this.

I've never heard this sound before.

It's really infrequent right now, about once a week. So going to be difficult to solve.

We really could use an android app that anytime sound is output it records which app is responsible!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Agreed, I believe there is some means to set certain sounds for certain apps.

Settings| Sound and notification | Apps

There you can specify particular sounds for an app.

Question, can you use something like ES File Explorer, and look in Alarms and Notifications and try to find the .ogg file that is the mystery sound?

0 Likes
barneytoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have settings -> sound and notifications, only "Sounds and vibration" and in there are no option for apps in there.

Good idea on OGG files. I searched and found around 11 of them but none of them is the sound.

I used windows explorer but had to download VLC Media player to play .ogg files.

0 Likes
juand_vzw
Verizon Employee

This is no way to enjoy your device. I definitely understand the urgency with turning off these notifications and I'll be happy to help fix this. After enabling the settings you were previously advised to do, did this change anything? Are any other notifications not working properly?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Bustermagoo, let's get to the bottom of this alert sound together.  When did this first start?  Where there any recent changes to your phone around the time when this first began (new applications added or updated, software updated, etc.)?  How often does this happen? 
Let's start by performing a Device Health Check https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-201171/.  After attempting this, can you notify us of any abnormalities reported? 
Let's also test your device in Safe Mode for some time to see if the alert sound still occurs https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-152233/ .  Once these steps have been completed please notify us of the results. 
SeanC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
barneytoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Health check comes back fine. Happens about once per week. Can't do safe mode right now but will try soon, thanks

0 Likes
barneytoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update - while debugging a separate issue I may have discovered the culprit: gmail app!

Gmail app hasn't been syncing so I was making changes and sending test emails from my work account and right when I was looking at my phone to see if incoming email notificiation popped up, I heard the 3 beeps!

Send 2nd and 3rd test emails but no beeps, so wondering if there's some sort of time that needs to pass before this happens again. I'll continue testing and will uninstall gmail app to validate.

chris

0 Likes
barneytoe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved, it was the gmail app. I uninstalled it, disabled it and instead setup up Samsung email app to use gmail account.

I solved 2 problems in 1: now getting email notifications again (visual) and no longer getting the weird beeps.

0 Likes